Cocobolo Is a Treat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JonathanF1968

Just had the pleasure of working with cocobolo for the first time. Such a treat to turn this wood. My real interest in this hobby is finding projects for tiny scraps of wood with sentimental value, and so I don't usually buy blanks. But Tony suggested that I try this wood, just to see if it was my technique of my wood choices that were holding me back, and I'm glad that I did. So much easier to work with, particularly compared to my ancient old growth pine. Also, this stuff smells great! Note, though, that it splits relatively easily. I drilled through a 3/4 inch blank with a 10 mm bit. The first time through, I was too aggressive with the drill, and it split. It was okay the second time, though, when I went just a tiny bit at a time, maybe just 1/8 inch per plunge. It sure turns like a dream, though.

2_IMG_8726-crop.jpg

(Note that some people are allergic to cocobolo dust.)

P.S. I'm just photographing it on my keyboard because that's my usual desk surface, so it's out of laziness, not as an attempt to be artistic....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Beware of the Cocobolo dust.

And, BTW, your piano keyboard background for pics is indeed rather attractive and creative !!!

Last edited:

jcm71

Beware of the Cocobolo dust.

And, BTW, your piano keyboard background for pics is indeed rather attractive and creative !!!

+1 on Mal's Caution on the sawdust. Cocobolo is very hyperallergenic. Never turn this wood without proper respiratory protection, and then throw your clothes in the wash and take a shower. I am speaking from experience here.

Woodchipper

Anyone can develop allergies or even asthma at any time in life. Never had allergies until I was 22 but have a family history of respiratory and allergies. Skipped my mother and aunts and landed on me. Dust mask is inside my face shield along with ear plugs.

MRDucks2

I had no issues with CA for the first 30-40 pens I made. Then it took me a few to connect the CA to my sinus issues being at the "mouth breather" stage for 3 days after each CA finished pen. Changed my whole set-up.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom