Closed end Mach 3 razor in Bokote with mosaic pins.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ruby pen turning

This is the first razor I have make with mosaic pins. Turned out good I think other then lots of wood grain competing with the pins. finished in around 10-12 coats CA sanded and sanded again through all the pretty colored pads.

IMG_8097.JPG

IMG_8100.JPG

IMG_8099.JPG

IMG_8101.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

No tearout around the pins. I've just received some, but have been worried about what kind of wood to use them in.

Gonna have to do at least one of these kits(for me). When you finished this one did you seal the endgrain with anything(to keep the water from getting under the finish)?

Scott (purty timber) B

wiset1

Your execution with the mosaic pins are spot on! Sooner or later I'll do more, but the initial test still stands as is. I finished up the birdseye pen, but it looked a little crazy so I didn't even bother taking pictures or posting it. This however, looks fantastic! I'm guessing that you made your own pins for this one?

No tearout around the pins. I've just received some, but have been worried about what kind of wood to use them in.

Gonna have to do at least one of these kits(for me). When you finished this one did you seal the endgrain with anything(to keep the water from getting under the finish)?

Scott (purty timber) B
Scott. I had to replace one of the copper rods in a small pin 5 times. It kept getting plucked out of the epoxy. Finally I just sanded it down since I was finished turning it. I wrap the CA around the top where the hardware meets wood.

Your execution with the mosaic pins are spot on! Sooner or later I'll do more, but the initial test still stands as is. I finished up the birdseye pen, but it looked a little crazy so I didn't even bother taking pictures or posting it. This however, looks fantastic! I'm guessing that you made your own pins for this one?
Even if it costs me more, I always like and at least try and do something like this just to see what it is about and if I can do it. It really is not hard, just a matter of finding rods and tube combo`s that work together.

SDB777

Where do you get these pins from?

If your just wanting to 'buy them'(like me), search the words "Mosaic pin", and you'll see a few knife supply websites come up. The one I ordered from forgot about me until I sent them an email asking if they would be so kind to ship my stuff(Texas was in the name). Two weeks later after paying for PriortyMail service I get my stuff.....

Scott (back to the original program) B

Top Bottom