Clips using stainless steel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scarfmeister

Is anyone cutting their clips from 303 or 304 stainless? I'm looking for the proper endmill ....carbide?.. and speeds and feeds to use with 1/8 " endmill and .020" stock. I've done ok with mild steel but stainless is tough stuff. Before I buy an expensive carbide endmill, can anyone help with comments. Thanks, Tom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scarfmeister

Carbide will work better, but it can be done with HSS. What kind of machine are you using?
Thanks for the reply Paul,
I'm using a Taig CNC mill and have had success cutting clips with mild steel but wanted something with more spring to it and saw a YouTube video where a Walmart as ruler was used as the stock. I can get 4 clips out of a short piece of the "ruler".
No business here, just gifts for the kids. Tom

scarfmeister

Use the Niagara link to get your numbers... https://www.niagaracutter.com/speedfeed

Use the feed rate calculator to get your speeds and feeds... https://www.the-carbide-end-mill-store.com/61.html
Rick,
Thanks a million, I checked out both links and was happy to see they cover 1/8" endmill sizes, especially the calculator.
Also, I had forgotten about Niagara. I will now visit their home page and check their carbide endmill prices.

Thanks everyone for taking your time to comment. Tom

Paul in OKC

Thanks for the reply Paul,
I'm using a Taig CNC mill and have had success cutting clips with mild steel but wanted something with more spring to it and saw a YouTube video where a Walmart as ruler was used as the stock. I can get 4 clips out of a short piece of the "ruler".
No business here, just gifts for the kids. Tom
I have looked the Taig off and on for years, wishing :). The calculators are good, but are generally set up for full size machines. It probably suggested a blazing rpm for the 1/8 endmill. With yours, I would think 1000 to 1250 rpm and about 5 to 7 inches a minute should be a good starting point. Using the scales is a good idea, but I believe they are tempered, which will either help or make it harder to cut. Good luck and show the results!

scarfmeister

Here is some feedback on my experiments with cutting (milling) clips using Stainless Steel.
Using Rick Herrell's link above, I ordered some carbide endmills from The Carbide End Mill Store. They were a good help
with advice. I had great success milling the clips. For anyone interested, here are my 'speeds & feeds using Carbide Create software
and a carbide 1/8" 4-flute endmill and .020" stainless steel stock and Taig CNC mill;
For the hole (pocket).......

Stepover: 0.004"
Dept per pass: 0.20"
Plunge Rate: 3.0"/min
Feed Rate: 6.0"/min
RPM: 1050 ( slowest speed setting on the Taig)

For the contour........
Stepover: 0.004"
Depth per pass: 0.020"
Plunge Rate: 2.0"/min
Feed Rate: 4.0"/min
RPM: 1050

I'm attaching pictures of some of my experiments including the jig for bending the clips.
I hope this info can be of some use for other experimenters.
Blessings....Tom

Attachments

• Bolt action Pen with SS clip.jpg
    Bolt action Pen with SS clip.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Home made and kit less pencils.jpg
    Home made and kit less pencils.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Home made pencils.jpeg
    Home made pencils.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Bending jig and SS ruler.jpg