Clips, Recessed and Invisible, article

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

drayman

hiya russ, i got your dvd, and great it is too. if i can do them anyone can. many thanks russ.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
I use the burning tip to melt the slot in plastic. Takes a couple trials in a piece of scrap to get the heat right because wood chars but plastic melts. You have to be quick to avoid the plastic slumping into the hole; but it will leave a nice slot. You don't see any plastic pens in the photos because I don't make plastic pens.

Jim15

Thanks Russ. I only had a chance to scan the article right now and it seems a little bit different than the way you do it on the older video I have of yours. Very nice of you to share it with us.

KenV

Good Ariticle Russ!!! Enjoyed reading it in the Journal and it will be nice to have the "reprint" handy. Keep writing those so the Journal has pen turning articles to include. They are a huge bunch of work, but help add to the shared knowledge.

glycerine

I use the burning tip to melt the slot in plastic. Takes a couple trials in a piece of scrap to get the heat right because wood chars but plastic melts. You have to be quick to avoid the plastic slumping into the hole; but it will leave a nice slot. You don't see any plastic pens in the photos because I don't make plastic pens.

Ok, thanks!

altaciii

Thank you Russ, that's one of the biggest reason I count on this site as a second family. There to many to count how use share their experience and knowledge for those of us less talented.

its_virgil

Hi Russ,
I saw and read the article in The American Woodturner. One fine job on the article and the pen, of course. I enjoy your articles and videos. Thanks for sharing and all you do to help out the rest of us.Oh, BTW, I'll see you in Utah in May.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Hi Russ,
I saw and read the article in The American Woodturner. One fine job on the article and the pen, of course. I enjoy your articles and videos. Thanks for sharing and all you do to help out the rest of us.Oh, BTW, I'll see you in Utah in May.

Don, I think we are both on the program for this year.

mikemac

I was musing on ways to cut the slot for the hidden/recessed/invisible clip... I am kinda clumsy at times, and doing it with a small saw or pick would likely result in significant blood loss.

I'm wondering if I could use my mini-mill, and a 1/32" cutter to make the slot... hmm..... I think I need to get a new cutter tomorrow...

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Mike, I have cut them with a small solid carbide cutter in a dremel tool, and it worked fine. Hand-held was tough to do. It does need some way to keep the tool steady and cutting in a straight line.

mikemac

Mike, I have cut them with a small solid carbide cutter in a dremel tool, and it worked fine. Hand-held was tough to do. It does need some way to keep the tool steady and cutting in a straight line.

My mill has a vice, so that shouldn't be a problem

CT133.jpg

Top Bottom