Cleaning Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rfreeouf

What is the best way to remove the sticky coating on a new lathe? Since I am a noob what do I need to use to remove it. After I remove the coating what should I use for protecting it against rust and etc...

Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I've had good luck with citrus-based cleaners. Some mineral spirits on the tough stuff. I wax (paste wax such as Butchers) the ways but that's more for smooth operation than rust protection.

skewzdust

I use WD40. Spray it on, let it soak, wipe off with paper towels. Be careful how you dispose of the paper towels, let them dry outside before you put in a garbage can or you could have a fire...

alamocdc

If you use WD-40 make sure you wax it immediately. I would also use dna over it to remove any residue. Contrary to popular opinion WD-40 is NOT a rust inhibitor. It will actually CAUSE things to rust. I'm not going to tell you how many firearms I ruined before I forgred that out. It is a great product and I still use it... but only on some things... like my elbow, for instance... no wait, that's Windex. [:p]

woodwish

I a spray can of WD40 around for occasional use but at least the non-areosol variety is water-based. That is why it is so safe to use and non-flammable, but also will cause rust if left on a bare metal suface. I would only use a non-water based product, but with good ventitlation and no open flames nearby. Then still wax the ways, ASAP, with a good auto paste wax. Everyone has their own methods, but this is mine.

skewzdust

I probably should have mentioned that I wax with a non-silicone wax right after the WD40. I've found it works great to apply the wax with steel wool. Over time it helps smooth out the surface. I wouldn't do this on a highly polished surface, but then I don't think anyone here is waxing a Powermatic table saw top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom