Chucks Components or Alumisaic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
It's been a long time since I posted a pen here. So, I thought I would use up some of this aluminum stock I have. Also, not going to be calling these pens kitless any longer since, the parts pretty much DO make up several COMPONENTS. With the exception of the clip, nib and, feed. The blank is a Green Mosaic, the components are aluminum (except in the UK where, it is Aluminium) :biggrin: Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_1515 (2).jpg
    IMG_1515 (2).jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_1516 (2).jpg
    IMG_1516 (2).jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_1517 (2).jpg
    IMG_1517 (2).jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_1519 (2).jpg
    IMG_1519 (2).jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 291
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lyonsacc

Chuck,

I'm sorry, but there are too many flaws in that pen to post it. I suggest you take down the pics and send the pen to me for some extensive repair. It might take a couple of years to fix everything . . . .

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
That is superb Chuck! Beautifully made too!!:good::good::good:

However, it's only Americans that spell aluminium incorrectly.......:wink::biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Chuck,

I'm sorry, but there are too many flaws in that pen to post it. I suggest you take down the pics and send the pen to me for some extensive repair. It might take a couple of years to fix everything . . . .
LMBO! Sorry Dave, I must disagree with you this time :biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
That is superb Chuck! Beautifully made too!!:good::good::good:

However, it's only Americans that spell aluminium incorrectly.......:wink::biggrin:
HaHa! Thanks Steve. I thought you would like my spelling of Aluminium . Although...my spell check just told me I've spelled it wrong.:wink::biggrin:

Nice pen Chuck. I like the style of the aluminum parts that you made. Not sure what the definition of kitless is but it seems since you made all the parts?

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
You still got it Chuck!
Thanks Derek. It was a little shaky based on my memory and, misplaced notes :rolleyes: I had to rely on Mike Redburn for a little reminder.:redface:

That's a classy looking pen.
Thank you Jim.
Great pen! The aluminum components turned out really nice. I was just wondering why I hadn't seen this type of kitless before.
Thanks very much. I haven't been able to make one of these pens since last summer due to moving and, WINTER :frown:

OZturner

A Beautiful pen, Chuck,
Looks Fantastic regardless if it was made with Aluminum or Aluminium,
Outstanding Components, and Superb Blank.
Congratulations.
BTW, it's Aluminium Down Under as well.
Brian.

wizard

Awesome!!!

Chuck,
I love this pen!!!! The mosaic with it's understated grey and black tones ties in beautifully with the components you made.
Hmmm...missing something though..usually more prominent in the center area of the pen sort of at the lower end of the cap...lol
Just kidding... Perfect as is...a more prominent center band would distract from the beautiful mosaic. It's truly a gorgeous pen and I wish it were mine!!!
Regards,
Doc:)

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Chuck,
I love this pen!!!! The mosaic with it's understated grey and black tones ties in beautifully with the components you made.
Hmmm...missing something though..usually more prominent in the center area of the pen sort of at the lower end of the cap...lol
Just kidding... Perfect as is...a more prominent center band would distract from the beautiful mosaic. It's truly a gorgeous pen and I wish it were mine!!!
Regards,

SIGH! There goes his hat size...............:eek::eek: :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Carl Fisher

Looks great Chuck! Very nicely executed "components".

How does the aluminum to acrylic threading feel when capping the pen? Any concerns with a cross thread with the aluminum cutting it's own threads in the softer acrylic?

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Im glad to see you posting!!! awesome pen.
Thanks Mark. So am I! :biggrin: It was a long dry spell with no turning.

Man I like that - sharp look - I love the components
Thank you Keith!

A Beautiful pen, Chuck,
Looks Fantastic regardless if it was made with Aluminum or Aluminium,
Outstanding Components, and Superb Blank.
Congratulations.
BTW, it's Aluminium Down Under as well.
Brian.
Thanks Brian. I was just teasing Skiprat :biggrin: and, now you :biggrin:

Chuck,
Regards,
Thank you Doc. I left the extra band out just to see if you would notice :biggrin: Joking of course. I was just plain lazy. :rolleyes:

Chuck,
Regards,

SIGH! There goes his hat size...............:eek::eek: :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Not yet! The one I have may be stretching a bit :biggrin:

Looks great Chuck! Very nicely executed "components".

How does the aluminum to acrylic threading feel when capping the pen? Any concerns with a cross thread with the aluminum cutting it's own threads in the softer acrylic?
Thank you Carl. So far, there has never been a problem with starting the threads. I'm sure it could happen but, so far the threads start perfectly smooth.

That looks terrific Chuck, very nicely done! I like those aluminium parts.

Mike
Thank you Mike! I have a couple more ideas. Wish I still lived in Florida right about now. Access to that mill would be nice.

Pitoon

I have a couple of those mosaic blanks. Still have not turned one yet. Don't think i have green, but from what i can see it looks very nice.

Pitoon

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Chuck,
What do you think of a front section made out of aluminum? Serious..no joke!
I considered that Doc. When I made a BP pen with aluminum section, I thought it would be nice to make a FP section the same way. Unless it has a coating of some sort, it will turn your fingers black. I don't have a powder coat system and, tried a poly coat but, when I started sanding it, peeled off the section. Haven't tried clear coat yet. So, maybe in the future, I'll try again. Made this section with a PR or alumilite blank that, seems to be pretty soft. Is a bit hazy when polishing. Don't recall where I acquired it from. I am looking to restock with some good ebonite. Thanks Doc!

Chuck! Great looking pen mate, i luv your design and material used,i was wondering the size of the tap/die you used and the length of the pen thankyou in advance.
Thank you John! I use the 12mm triple start tap & die from Mike Redburn for cap & body. The finials are 9x.75 tap & die. The pen measures 5 inches capped. Both finials are drilled out to keep the length minimal.

I have a couple of those mosaic blanks. Still have not turned one yet. Don't think i have green, but from what i can see it looks very nice.

Pitoon
Thanks! It IS a nice material to work with. Polishes really nicely. Try it out.:wink:

wizard

CHuck

Anodize the front section no black rubbing off on your fingers.

CHuck

Anodize the front section no black rubbing off on your fingers.
TeeHee! :biggrin: Completely forgot about that :redface::biggrin: When I get space to set that stuff up maybe :biggrin: Thanks Mike!

I used a coating suggested by Caswell called VHT. The coating sprays on and is hard and glossy and doesn't require sanding. Anodizing seems a more practical and permanent solution. I don't know how to anodize but would love to! I want to work with steel (Damascus/Koftgari) and have ordered a foot long rod of Koftgari...ought to be interesting:eek:.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Doc. The VHT would be a simpler way to go. Although anodizing IS fun, there are steps that, require more attention. Time in acid bath, time in the dye (or not if, you want clear) current, conducive connections etc. but, the results are satisfying :biggrin:

Top Bottom