Christmas in June?????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Max

My new neighbor that is a logger brought this to me today. It is red oak and weighs about 300 lbs. Yes I have already cut it in half and it is resting in the shop covered with a coat of Anchor seal This tree has been down for a year and is still very wet. I am covered up with work right now so it will get to sit for awhile till I can do any more to it.
Hope you enjoy the pic.

2006622235039_burl2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

angboy

OK, I haven't learned enough to get to the point where I can really appreciate wood in it's natural form, though I can appreciate it in blank form now. So this may be a stupid question, but is the burl that ugly growth that looks like a horrible tumor growing off of the wood? If so, is that a common size for a burl? Because I don't think I've ever seen a tree with that sort of thing on it. Maybe that's why people are envious?

Gary Max

Ang-- that is a monster burl and you are correct it just a growth/tumor that grows on the tree. It feeds off the tree and this one killed the tree. Most burls we see here in the USA today are small and just grow on the sides of tree. Every once in a while you will here about someone who finds a bunch in one area. Even with this cut in half I still can not pick a half up. I will post a pic this afternoon for you.
Here's a funny for you ----I have stopped while driving down the road and spent a hour talking to a stranger just to look through thier firewood pile. One can not be shy about finding wood. I carry a small case of pens and trade for firewood. You got to give them something in return.
But yesterday I spent over a $100.00 buying wood for blanks so it's not all free by any means.

Rifleman1776

When it comes to wood, we are a little nutso. I just picked up some wood from a tree that had fallen across my road from a direction I seldom drive. We had a thunderstorm last night that apparently brought it down. I'm about to go to the extension service to get it identified. Wood is kina yellow, bark is paper-like and leaves very large. I'm guessing butternut. If it is, that's good turning wood, not necessarily for pens. But, now I have about 200 pounds of wet, unidentified wood to turn. [8D]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />When it comes to wood, we are a little nutso. I just picked up some wood from a tree that had fallen across my road from a direction I seldom drive. We had a thunderstorm last night that apparently brought it down. I'm about to go to the extension service to get it identified. Wood is kina yellow, bark is paper-like and leaves very large. I'm guessing butternut. If it is, that's good turning wood, not necessarily for pens. But, now I have about 200 pounds of wet, unidentified wood to turn. [8D]

Edit: Just returned from county extension office. Mystery tree wood is sycamore. Chainsawed to usable lengths, will now anchorseal ends and do an experimental small bowl turning on a short length. The masters in the videos turn green wood, now I'll try.

Gary Max

Frank I always turn green wood-- for bowls--set yourself up a DNA bath or boil them in a big barrel.
Here is that pic I said that I would get posted.

2006623193151_half3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom