Choice of wood for bottle stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Stephen

Stephen

Please tell me which wood has a strong brown color and black grains for a bottle stopper. Or what wood would best suit bottle stoppers. Also are there any members selling them for international orders? The shippng cost by the big boys is not realistic, far exceeding USPS international rates. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Brown colored wood with black grain

Wenge! It has a beautiful rich dark brown color with distinct black grain. Only problem is - it splinters a lot - when cutting, drilling and/or turning. ANd those little spiky things burn like a cactus thorn. It's a challenge to get a good finish on it - although laquer should work.

I don't have a piece large enough for a bottle stopper. But I can send you some large pen blanks you can maybe get 'em together segmenting. Be glad to send you some!

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Wenge

I sometimes can get a really nicely grained quarter sawn piece of Wenge. You'd have to pay for shipping and board cost. I usually buy it in 1 board foot length. PM me if interested.

nava1uni

I think Bocate has some really nice grain and it can be dark brown with black lines. Makes a nice stopper and is nice to turn, even the end grain turns nicely

splinter99

Dont forget about Morado, It is chocolate brown with black lines and polishes up beautifuly..I was told that it is used alot for gear shift handles in high end sports cars

Top Bottom