Chittum wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

homemade

I went to exoticblanks and did not find what I was looking for. But this is what I have found so far. It is extremely rare in that the wood was harvested during the civil war to make yellow dyes. It grow in limestone and has to be chiseled out. Mainly grows in the Huntsville, AL area and no where else. It is related to the cashew tree and is also called the "smoketree". As for its value, I have no information on that. I will say this though, a friend told me that a pen made from this wood cost over a hundred dollars. I have a branch of it and plan to cut it up to make 5' long pen blanks. He is suppose to bring me some logs about 8" dia. or so.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I went to exoticblanks and did not find what I was looking for. But this is what I have found so far. It is extremely rare in that the wood was harvested during the civil war to make yellow dyes. It grow in limestone and has to be chiseled out. Mainly grows in the Huntsville, AL area and no where else. It is related to the cashew tree and is also called the "smoketree". As for its value, I have no information on that. I will say this though, a friend told me that a pen made from this wood cost over a hundred dollars. I have a branch of it and plan to cut it up to make 5' long pen blanks. He is suppose to bring me some logs about 8" dia. or so.

We buy it whenever we can find it. Which is NOT often.

Man, you must have a lot though if you are selling five FOOT pen blanks!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Redstoneal

The Landtrust of N Alabama just donated a bunch to the Army Woodchippers on the Arsenal in Huntsville..I made a pen yesterday, really pretty..but i didn't know it was so rare..it is unique though.

Russianwolf

Smoketree isn't all that rare. The root burls that grow in limestone are much harder to come by though.

The limbs will give you a nice yellow wood with ordinary grain for the most part. Don't expect a pen that demands big bucks any more so than a Osage Orange pen would.

The burls are expensive because they have to be either chiseled or dynamited out of the limestone. they have rays and eyes and all the other burl characteristics. Expensive, yes. I have a Chittum Burl Jr. Emperor that I'm asking $500 for, and I won't be dropping that price, its a gorgeous pen.

Top Bottom