Chess Set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DRugerH

Good morning all. Just wanted to share a chess set that I made about three years ago. I am currently making a second set for my chess-loving brother-in-law, so I thought that while this was fresh in my mind, I would share the finished product and how I turned them.

Firstly, here is the chess set. The board is made of the same two woods, white ash and black walnut, and framed in with red oak.
IMG_20200726_095005618.jpg

IMG_20200726_094945099.jpg

Dan

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DRugerH

My idea was to turn the pieces of white ash and black walnut. I had scored a ton of rough cut wood, which was quite ugly looking. I would turn the pieces into cylinders on the larger lathe to make sure the wood was sound, and to look at the grain. I would then cut them down into the sizes I needed. I also had to make two chess chucks. One for the back row and one for the pawns, since the needed a smaller base. I had some scrap maple/red oak from a project I had prior, so I used the cut up chunks and created the chucks:
20181228-110749.jpg

I then tossed a hunk of wood into the regular jaw chuck and turned and finished the bottom of the piece first. In these examples, I am working on a pawn:
20181225-145908.jpg

20181225-150713.jpg

20181225-151326.jpg

Once I have done the bottom, I drill the appropriate size hole to fit the chess chuck, and drill a smaller hole for the wood screw to hold the chess piece firmly in the chuck. Once I have done that, I start turning the rest of the chess piece
20181225-151454.jpg

20181225-152300.jpg

And that's about it.

To weigh the piece down, I crush some led bullet projectiles to fit the cavity left behind by the forstner bit and glue it in with epoxy. I then cut a disc of green self-adhesive felt and cover the bottom with that.

Dan

zig314159

Nicely done and documented. Thanks for the photos and inspiration Your steps are helpful. Check and mate in just a few moves. Wonderful project.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Cool! This is helpful. I have a cousin who asked if I could make these. My answer was, "I don't know". I looked into it a little bit. Did some searching, and found some patterns, and a couple of videos. One of which showed sawing the Knights horsehead on a band saw. But I like the shape you've put on your pieces. Thanks for sharing the photos. Well done.

Wmcullen

Thanks for the wonderful photo-documentation. It really helps to see your process. In 2020 I took on a chess set as a covid project and I agree with others here that your knight design looks more fun, especially from a turner's point of view. ; )

BULLWINKLE

My idea was to turn the pieces of white ash and black walnut. I had scored a ton of rough cut wood, which was quite ugly looking. I would turn the pieces into cylinders on the larger lathe to make sure the wood was sound, and to look at the grain. I would then cut them down into the sizes I needed. I also had to make two chess chucks. One for the back row and one for the pawns, since the needed a smaller base. I had some scrap maple/red oak from a project I had prior, so I used the cut up chunks and created the chucks:
View attachment 343646

I then tossed a hunk of wood into the regular jaw chuck and turned and finished the bottom of the piece first. In these examples, I am working on a pawn:
View attachment 343647
View attachment 343648
View attachment 343649

Once I have done the bottom, I drill the appropriate size hole to fit the chess chuck, and drill a smaller hole for the wood screw to hold the chess piece firmly in the chuck. Once I have done that, I start turning the rest of the chess piece
View attachment 343650
View attachment 343651

And that's about it.

To weigh the piece down, I crush some led bullet projectiles to fit the cavity left behind by the forstner bit and glue it in with epoxy. I then cut a disc of green self-adhesive felt and cover the bottom with that.

Dan
Absolutely awesome workmanship

jttheclockman

Love the chess set. I was suppose to do a chess set in scrollsaw form. Got the plans and all and never got around to it. It is really involved and time consuming. It is still somewhere on my to do list though. Yours may have given me a little push to move it up. Use to love playing chess years ago. Now I do not know if i remember all the moves.o_O

Joebobber

I can't remember where but I saw a video on making the pieces but your process looks much better. I've wanted to make 1 with magnets and weights in them. Or make a set with soapstone. Way to go making such a labor intensive project!

Woodchipper

Excellent! One can also use round split shot sinkers for the weight. However, they can be expensive for a chess set. Counter drill the base and glue in a hex nut. Retailers sell them but are expensive. If you have an industrial supply house as Fastenal or MSC, a pack of 100 should be much cheaper.

for my chess set I used bird shot for the weight... my friend that does his own loading sold me a 10 lb container of bird shot that I poured in the recess at the bottom and then added CA to hold in place... I left a slight recess at the bottom and added wood putty before I covered with the green felt you mentioned.

The set has long since been sold... the fellow who bought it said he needed a new chess set so maybe he could beat his son.. :)

13-3167_3.JPG
I used Pecan and Black Walnut for the pieces and Maple and Bubings for the board... don't remember the frame and didn't make a note of it in my notes...

You post has inspired me to make another... it will be cold in my shop, but maybe a heater will help.

DRugerH

Very nice. I like your chess pieces as well. My work is closing the week of Christmas, so if I don't get called in during that week, I may work on and maybe even finish the set for my brother-in-law. I am just dreaeding the pawns. Making the same thing 16 times gets a bit tiring :)

Dan

Top Bottom