Cherry Platter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mrcook4570

mrcook4570

with maple, mahogany, and walnut inlays.

200842813824_cherryinlay.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Beautiful work, I plan to do some inlay platters myself, but will have to cut the inlays with a chisel as I have no Laser engraver.

I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about this.

If I had a laser cutter, I know I would use it like this myself. I even thought about borrowing one a couple of times.

But there is allot more romance in cutting the inlays by hand in fitting them in one at a time.

Does laser cutting instead of hand cutting take anything away from a piece like this? Or does it add to it.
Does it open more opportunities or does it remove the craftsmanship?

melogic

I had the pleasure seeing Stan and his wife at a show this past weekend and let me tell you folks, this platter and all of his other work is just wonderful. Pictures do not do his work justice. Keep up the great work Stan!

mrcook4570

A laser is a tool. It is not "press a button and presto, instant product." To be used effectively and efficiently, one must learn how to use it, what its limitations are, and how to work around those limitations. Unlike other tools, the operation of laser requires knowledge of graphics design, geometry, and trigonometry. I can define equations to generate curves. I can use transformations, symmetry, and trigonometry to determine the location and size of details. As a teacher of mathematics and chemistry with a background in engineering, I find this exactness very fascinating.

Does the addition of electricity and a motor to a treadle lathe remove any craftsmanship? And does a treadle remove any craftsmanship from just a sharpened piece of flint? Does an airbrush remove any artistic value from a paintbrush? Does a power carver remove craftsmanship from a hand held gouge? Does the use of a fiber optics and lasers make a surgeon any less of a surgeon than one who operates only with their hands? Does the use of a computer make one less of a printer than a hot metal typesetter?

I apologize for using the forum to debate the use of a laser in woodturning. I will gladly continue any debate or answer any questions from anyone through email :)

Top Bottom