Chef's knife with bird's eye maple

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Humongous

Humongous

My daughter needed a decent knife to cook with at college but is a little intimidated by large chef's knives. I picked this nikiri style blank from Woodcraft and had this wild piece of bird's eye maple for the scales. Since she has no counter space for a knife block I added a cedar blade guard. Got a little over zealous while sanding and dinged the bolster but not too bad. Thanks for looking. Comments welcome.
20200905_124458.jpg
20200905_124447.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
The ding on the Bolster I'm assuming came from an electric belt sander? Might try this in the future. Tape off the Bolster with masking tape, take the wood down with a micro plane just shy of the Bolster and then finish off the fit with different grit sand paper until you just "nick" the masking tape. That way in the future if you nick the Bolster it an easy sanding to even everything out.

That is a nice looking piece of wood you used for the scales. Turned out very, very nice.

Reactions: DrD

magpens

I can't get over the gorgeous figure in that "wild piece of bird's eye maple for the scales ". !!!

Thanks for showing !!!

SteveG

The right wood is SOOOOO beautiful, it allows us to contribute our abilities at working that wood, to produce extraordinary items that would otherwise just be everyday functional things. Great job doing just that.

Humongous

The ding on the Bolster I'm assuming came from an electric belt sander? Might try this in the future. Tape off the Bolster with masking tape, take the wood down with a micro plane just shy of the Bolster and then finish off the fit with different grit sand paper until you just "nick" the masking tape. That way in the future if you nick the Bolster it an easy sanding to even everything out.

That is a nice looking piece of wood you used for the scales. Turned out very, very nice.
Hi Tom, yes it was from the belt sander. Thanks for the tip, I taped off the blade but didn't think about the bolster. That's a great idea about using the micro plane. I have one, just never considered using it. I really admire your knife and leather work and appreciate the help.

Ken, need to apologize for being so abrupt on the fix and not more focused on the finished product. It's a very beautiful knife and you've done a great job with it. Your daughter will love it and I'm sure it will become a family heirloom. I look forward to seeing more of your knives in the future.

Humongous

Ken, need to apologize for being so abrupt on the fix and not more focused on the finished product. It's a very beautiful knife and you've done a great job with it. Your daughter will love it and I'm sure it will become a family heirloom. I look forward to seeing more of your knives in the future.
Tom, no need to apologize. I did not take your post as abrupt at all, as I said I respect your advise as you have much more experience than I. It's all great feedback and I welcome it to learn. Thank you all for the comments

Tom, no need to apologize. I did not take your post as abrupt at all, as I said I respect your advise as you have much more experience than I. It's all great feedback and I welcome it to learn. Thank you all for the comments

I'm an open book Ken. In the future if you need any help/advice please don't hesitate to ask.

Top Bottom