Checking in from Reno NV

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marc

Hi all,

So my son and daughter in law have been riding me to join this site, and I am glad I did.

I read through a couple of the threads regarding pen turning overview and what you wish you knew before you started. I found myself nodding and chuckling through the laments, most of which resonate with me and a few of which I have yet to personally experience.

Perhaps this old dog can learn some new tricks from research before I have to experience the lessons the hard way.

I very much enjoy pen-turning. The stress relief I get from being full engaged in the process is well worth all the money I have spent. Like others, I may not have embarked on this mission had I any inkling of the cost.

Looking forward to learning and turning with this group. See you around the shop.

Marc from Reno.

ps Hi Ty and Amanda.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

markgum

welcome make sure you sign up for the NOR/CEN Cal group also. Daniel has joined us for meetings in the past. Look forward to seeing some of your work.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Hi Marc, welcome from southern CA. Pull up a chair and sit a spell. I'm looking forward to see how your tinting work comes out.

Whatever you do here, have fun!

Marc

Tinting result and three pens.

1_Three_pens_and_an_experiment.jpg

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Hey Marc, those are beautiful pens. Did you post them on "Show Off Your Pens?" Just click on the link under "Forums" and then click on "New thread." That way you'll be getting more feedback.

Are they tinted, then segmented? I love the designs and colors. Nice job.

Marc

Hi Cathy Sue,

No, I did not post them there. I will do so. None of those pens are died, they are all natural woods with just the mylands friction polish.

The piece of pine behind them was my tinting experiement.

Marc

You know Cathy, I did not even think of turning that scrap piece. I know the dye does not go very deep with just wiping it on, and that knot in the wood might go deep enough to keep it as a feature.

I do have a couple of slim line kits around here somewhere. Maybe I will give that a turn and see what happens. Dye the finished product and who knows, it might be turn out fine.

Going to Minnesota next week for a family reunion. I'll bet some of the family would like it.

Top Bottom