Cheap castings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

I figure that a gallon of PR will produce about 60 useable blanks, by the time you add the cost of colorants, especially if your using a lot of Pearl EX your blanks are going to cost between .75 and 1.00 per blank, if you are using less Pearl EX and PR dyes, then the cost drops off considerably, but I've noticed most ladies like the pearl colors, but at .85 a blank? I can afford to turn some into 20.00 to 22.00 slimline pens I'm using one of Gadgets molds and some PVC pipe molds as well, they work great on single color pours, and swirls too, and it's a lot easier to finish and turn than some 1.50 and 2.00 wood blanks, just harder to clean up after[:I][:I]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Scott, I weigh out 8 OS and it fills uo my 4 slot 3/4 square mold and gives me about 3/4 or so oz extra that I use to make ribbons and stuff with, using PVC It only uses about 1.5 oz, but you really don't need a 3/4" round blank unless your doing a big pen so I'm sort of stuck, actually I haven't been measuring it by weight, I've been doing it by volume, maybe I need to actually check the weight, there could be a difference in the specific gravity, also my blanks are 5-1/2 X 3/4 on the square and 5 by 3/4 round on the PVC, I think I'll start using 1/2 in PVC for less waste.

bitshird

Originally posted by Blind_Squirrel

I ballpark 1 ounce per blank. 1 gallon = 128 ounces. Not every one comes out great, so I am getting around 95 - 100 blanks to a gallon of PR.
Scott, I just weighed a 3/4 x 5-1/2 Silmar 41 blank and after curing 24 hrs it weighed 55.1 grams, thats 1.95 OZ what size are your blanks at 1 OZ per? I like your figures better, CHEAPER [:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)]

DozerMite

Banned

I ballpark 1 ounce per blank. 1 gallon = 128 ounces. Not every one comes out great, so I am getting around 95 - 100 blanks to a gallon of PR.
1 oz. per blank? What size blank are you making? I would think you would have blow outs when drilling, unless it's a blank for a sierra or similar.

doddman70

Originally posted by DozerMite

1 oz. per blank? What size blank are you making? I would think you would have blow outs when drilling, unless it's a blank for a sierra or similar.

I agree my 3/4 pvc pipe molds at 5 3/4 tall is roughfly 1.5 oz

Shane

Originally posted by DozerMite

I don't drill. I cast directly onto the tube.:D;)

Top Bottom