Chair Leg Protectors

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Heck we ask all kinds of questions here so here is another from left field. Just installed vinyl tiles in Kitchen and would like to preserve the look from scratching from chairs and tables. So has anyone found a good chair leg protector that will allow chairs to slide as well as protect from scratching and last a long time? I have seen those ruby red protectors advertised but I looked on reviews and see they do not fit all chair legs and do not slide well.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

monophoto

When wife and I had our 'new' home built 20 years ago, we opted to have hardwood floors on the ground floor, so we have been battling this issue ever since. Sadly, we haven't found a good solution.

The stick-on felt pads work fine, but over time they slip off the foot of the chair. I think the issue is that the force on the pads is not straight down through the chair legs, as you might expect, but rather includes a component that wants to shear across the face of the pad, and over time, this causes the pad to slip. Always toward the back of the chair which suggests that shear force arises because the weight of a person sitting on the chair isn't applied equally to the front and back legs. Anyway, the result is that the pad eventually comes off, and then resticks itself to the floor. Mineral spirits will remove the adhesive from hardwood floors - DAMHIKT.

Mattias Wandel says that the permanent solution to that problem is to use felt pads without pressure-sensitive adhesive, sticking them to the chair using hot-melt glue. Rather than using a glue gun, he suggests heating both the chair foot and the pad with a heat gun and then smearing a glue stick onto the foot. Haven't tried that.

We've also used rubber feet that have a recessed hole for a wood screw that attaches into a hole in the chair leg. They work OK, but over time the rubber wears down to the point where eventually the head of the attachment screw becomes exposed and scratches the floor.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have used the ones that Todd posted in post # 2. We have 6 walnut chairs that are 40 years old and the bottom slides came off of several. We replaced them with the ones with the center nail. I did debate between those and the ones that Mike (Mr Ducks2) posted. It has been a couple of years since I did that. Not sure how long they will last, but so far, they have been good.

jttheclockman

We've also used rubber feet that have a recessed hole for a wood screw that attaches into a hole in the chair leg. They work OK, but over time the rubber wears down to the point where eventually the head of the attachment screw becomes exposed and scratches the floor.

This is exactly what I worry about and if I do not catch it in time I have a bigger problem.

wouldentu2?

Tried many methods and found the ones that slide over the leg work best and last longer. They sell them in the As Seen On TV section of stores. They come in two sizes.

MRDucks2

Interesting. Do you have to drill a small hole for those cleats or do they just hammer in?
They just hammer in. Got tired of the sticky pads coming off then making sticky spots in floors. Tried a pack of these and they work great.

I have them on all of my wooden legs now, chairs, stools, tables. With the round steel piece they also work well on legs made of layered or segment wood. They stay attached.

WriteON

bsshog40

Depending on the size you need, pvc end caps should work pretty good. Long lasting and shouldn't scratch the floors.

Top Bottom