How Do you Do That?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jttheclockman

I am sure this cryptic question will **** off @penicillin but who cares?

I see many people use a method to include a link within their post that is a typed word in blue. If you click on the word the link appears. I always use the add a link button that looks like a chain link. My question is there an easy way to do the word thing that is easily remembered? I assume you can type any word you want. Can you make it any color you want?

I think there was a thread Jeff started here about showing features this site can do. Whatever happened to that? Maybe a few of these little things could be added. Still trying to figure out the screen grab thing and showing it. I need to play around with this new computer more.

I also want to try some of the neat features in the symbols above. Have not used many of them.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RunnerVince

I see many people use a method to include a link within their post that is a typed word in blue. If you click on the word the link appears. I always use the add a link button that looks like a chain link. My question is there an easy way to do the word thing that is easily remembered? I assume you can type any word you want. Can you make it any color you want?

I think there was a thread Jeff started here about showing features this site can do. Whatever happened to that? Maybe a few of these little things could be added. Still trying to figure out the screen grab thing and showing it. I need to play around with this new computer more.

I also want to try some of the neat features in the symbols above. Have not used many of them.
If you simply type out what you want to link, then highlight it and press ctrl+k, it will bring up the hyperlink interface where you can type in the URL.
I did a quick test, and you can change the color after you've created the link, though I wouldn't recommend. People know what the blue color means. If you use other colors, some people may just think you're being "fancy" and not realize the text is actually linked.
I know from my 15+ years as a technical editor that if you're going to change something with a longstanding standard, you better have a DARN good reason. In this forum about pens, there's no reason to mess with a convention that not related to pens.

jttheclockman

Other toys I need to try. Underline Underline Crossout Spoiler not sure what this is. I see what it does. It ghosts the words. Cool. HighlightHighlight This is fun.

Insert horizontal lines

its_virgil

Remembering to select the word to be linked and clicking on the "chain link" icon is easier than remembering which combination of keys to push, at least for me, that is. But, these, sometimes not so short "short cuts" are fun and interesting. And, I would most likely not be able to find my cheat sheet.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

jttheclockman

Remembering to select the word to be linked and clicking on the "chain link" icon is easier than remembering which combination of keys to push, at least for me, that is. But, these, sometimes not so short "short cuts" are fun and interesting. And, I would most likely not be able to find my cheat sheet.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
I stick cheat sheet on shelf of my desk. When I get my new desk I may have to find other method. I guess if you do it alot you remember these things.

monophoto

Test reply
OK that was fun.

Now someone teach me how to do a page capture.
John

If you right-click, you should see a popup box that looks something like this:
1650480317781.png

Note the fourth item down - Take Screenshot. If you click that option, you will have the option to select a region on your screen that you can then either copy to your 'clipboard', or 'download'. If you select the copy option, you can then paste it into another document, or as I have done here, paste that image into a posting.

I agree with you about remembering keyboard shortcuts - I thought what went away when Windoze replaced DOS.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Some good ideas above.

My favorite is the shortcut for urls
[ URL="replace this with the URL"]Click here![/URL ]
and remove the spaces after the first [ and before the last ]

penicillin

The intent of the first statement is to deliberately antagonize another member of Penturners and to tell others that such bullying is acceptable.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
The Acceptable Use Policy isn't currently posted because I'm revising it, but it has always contained the following:

"No trolling. Don't make posts that are inflammatory just to annoy people."

The first sentence of this thread is a perfect example of that. Intended to unnecessarily antagonize another member. I simply don't understand the purpose or the value to the community of airing personal grievances in a public forum.

jttheclockman

The Acceptable Use Policy isn't currently posted because I'm revising it, but it has always contained the following:

"No trolling. Don't make posts that are inflammatory just to annoy people."

The first sentence of this thread is a perfect example of that. Intended to unnecessarily antagonize another member. I simply don't understand the purpose or the value to the community of airing personal grievances in a public forum.
I find it amusing that you said nothing when this thread I started a few days ago and he took his shots at me. You can apply the same sentence to him as well. I agree this has no place here. You want to delete this thread is fine with me.

This statement of his in this thread could be written for what he said in this thread. His own words.
The intent of the first statement is to deliberately antagonize another member of Penturners and to tell others that such bullying is acceptable.

https://www.penturners.org/threads/i-did-not-know.174085/#post-2157177

Last edited:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think the two threads are equivalent, but your opinion is noted.

Ignoring another user completely is as easy as clicking the "Ignore" button on their member card.

penicillin

I stand by my statements in these two threads and have nothing further to say. I believe that John T.' s statements speak for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom