Chainsaw sharpner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ryannmphs

Yes and No.
is that clear enough? My FIL has something like that where he works. So after about the 5th or 6th time of me sharpening by hand I send the chain with him to work and he will sharpen it for me. I watched him set it up once. I looked to be a pain in the neck but it does give a nice sharp edge.

I sure you will get some that will say the only way to sharpen is with a hand file and practice. But, I feel that if you get a good sharp chain, it don't matter how you got it sharp (though with that tool you will remove more metal every time you sharpen than with a good file).

Just MHO.

Ryan

Dario

As Ryan said.

I hand file and though it may not get it as nice as that set up can...I can do my touch up anywhere, anytime.

One thing that I can't seem to get right yet (and I am not sure if this sharpener will take care also)...is the raker height. If you mess that one up, the saw will not cut properly....no matter how sharp the cutters are.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Am asking because I've got 4 or 5 chains that I"ve hand sharpened many times and now the need to be majorly touched up. Cost to have this done locally is about $6. At this cost, it wouldn't take long to recoup my money. About 3 weeks ago, I bought a new chain and it improved the cutting 1000%.

ryannmphs

Dario,
For the raker height my FIL had a small metal guide that sat on the chain that allowed you to file the rakers to the correct height. I'll see if I can get him to tell me where he got it.

This is something like what he has Ebay

Ryan

Edited to all linky

Dario

Ryan,

I do have a couple of those (file-o-plates) for different gauge/pitch...I am just stubborn and lazy to use them LOL.

Thanks!!!

UKpenmaker

Ryan is right with these machines you do get through the cha a lot quicker that if you hand sharpen. If you don't let the chain get to blunt, you can just give it a quick tickle to help keep the edge on it.

Dario if you are having trouble with the raker height you can get a depth gauge to help get it right. I don't know what saw/chain size you use but here is a link to Stihl.

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/acc_filing.html

20062241708_depthgauge.gif
<br />

All you do is place it on top of the chain and use a flat file to take the raker down to the gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom