Ceramic Rose Fountain

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

I got a pleasant request from a rose grower to make a rose fountain.

Always fun to play and turn in the mud (likening the wheel to a slow and messy vertical lathe).

I threw the body on the potters wheel and hand built the base.

Making roses was the fun part.

I found her a quiet submersible pump so the water can cascade over the roses and recycle back from the base.

I left the bisque firing, glazing, and final cone 10 firing to a colleague.

No pix of the finished piece yet (but you get the idea).

Steps:
Throw and hand build the form out of smooth cone 10 Black Mountain clay.
Mix clay with water to butter cream frosting consistency using an immersion blender.
Pipe out roses onto 2-3" diameter flower nails, using standard cake decorating technique.
Transfer roses onto form very gently with scissors and putty knife.
Pipe leaves and other floral elements directly onto the form.

attachment.php

Happy Wednesday to all - Bob

Attachments

• CeramicRoseFountain,markison,2019.jpg
    CeramicRoseFountain,markison,2019.jpg
    612.7 KB · Views: 469
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Apologies to you Bob, but when I saw that, it looked like light milk chocolate roses, and made me desire some milk chocolate! :biggrin:

One of my son-in-laws is a ceramic artist and that reminds me so much of his work! Beautifully done. Excellent roses!

Please post a picture after the firing!

dpstudios

Beautiful work Bob as always. If you ever decide to get out of the surgery business, I think you just might have a career in the arts.:wink::biggrin:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
A beautiful project Bob. I admire your diverse artistry. And I appreciate you sharing these works with us for inspiration and appreciation.

Very nice, I look forward to the final product.

Charlie_W

Awesome piece Bob!
Question...does the fountain completely fill and run over or did you imbed tubing to the top rim roses? Level top or specific spillways for the water?....just curious. Thanks

Simply beautiful Bob. You never fail to impress and constantly up the ante with your work. You're a true artist.

But I have to ask... Do you do cake decorating too? Because it looks delicious! :biggrin:

Bob in SF

Many thanks Dan, Bobby, Mark, Charlie, and Jay!

Charlie - the water spills from the top, collects in the bottom "moat", runs to the back and recycles. I can imagine some nice wood-turned fountains with copper-clad or UV-resin-protected components/waterways - hmmm...

Jay - yes - we've had some family fun with cake decorating - forbidden ingredients like chocolate and sugar work nicely. Nice sugar arts info here:
Home - Sugar Arts Institute: Cake Decorating Classes, Receptions, Functions.

Dan - still doing hand surgery full time with parallel lives in art/craft/music - the extracurricular activities help tune the non-generic surgical problem solving (hand-in-hand).

Gratefully, Bob

Top Bottom