Good day folks,

It's been several years ago, some one on
this site had made plastic center finders
does any one have have knowledge of
these or where I may find them

Thank you in advance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

I don't know if this is what you are referring to, but I think that one of the forms moderators or maybe former moderator, alphageek, Dean Charlier, from Wisconsin used to make them with a 3-D printer. I recall someone talking about a setup he did at one of the pen gatherings. - Dave

bsshog40

I forgot where I got them from and they are still packed up, but I know I have a small one for square pen blanks and a large one for circular center. I found the small one I have on ebay.

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Exotic Blanks has made them in the past.

penicillin

NOT RECOMMENDED as a Center Finder:
https://www.rockler.com/caliper-gauge-center-finder
This Rockler tool is a plastic center finder and caliper setting tool. I like it and use it as a caliper setter. I do not like the Rockler tool as a center finder. The problem is that the center section is too thick, which makes it hard to get a pen or pencil in the slot to draw the centering line.

Recommended, but not plastic:
I use the center finder that comes with a Starrett 12 inch combination square set. Search for "Starrett combination square" and look for ones that include the V-shape center finder. Starrett is a very expensive name brand, and you can find much less expensive versions of their combination square and center finder.
-> This is the one case where I urge you to spend the money for a true Starrett brand combination square and center finder. It costs more than all the others, but is so worth the expense, in my opinion. Consider it a "lifetime investment."

jttheclockman

When you say center finder though that can mean a few different type tools. The tried and true method of square blocks is opposite corners draw a line and where they intersect is center. Finding center of any sized tube lengthwise is easy by laying tube on a flat surface and place a flat even piece of material next to it and draw a straight line down the length.

gimpy

I forgot where I got them from and they are still packed up, but I know I have a small one for square pen blanks and a large one for circular center. I found the small one I have on ebay.
Bingo, thats what im looking for thank you

gimpy

When you say center finder though that can mean a few different type tools. The tried and true method of square blocks is opposite corners draw a line and where they intersect is center. Finding center of any sized tube lengthwise is easy by laying tube on a flat surface and place a flat even piece of material next to it and draw a straight line down the length.

yes, square blocks in opposite corners and draw a line

Top Bottom