Cedar Jr. Gent Pens and Business Card Holder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JimGo

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

Larry Korn (LKorn) was kind enough to send me some of his private stash of cedar a few weeks ago, and I finally got to finish a business card holder from some of what he sent. Of course, now in hindsight, I should have taken both sides of the holder, so you could see the natural edge too. I also have realized that I need to invest in a router, so I can actually cut in the groove that I wanted so this could double as a pen rest. As it is, there's a slight angle, and the pens just slide off!

Cedar%20Business%20Card%20Holder%20-%20smaller.jpg

I also recently purchased some cedar from Ryan (Ryannmphs) here: http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6442 . When the cedar arrived, two blanks really jumped out at me. Since I was making the business card holder and a pen for a friend (he said he was a big cedar fan), I knew I wanted to give him a pen from one of these blanks, since the cigar pen I made for him isn't something I'm exactly proud of (too much bushing dust). So, I stole a little time over the last few nights to work on these. They are both Jr. Gent's, and the one on the left-hand side will be going to my friend. The right-hand one had two small places where the scraper got a little aggressive and wound up turning down at/near the tube (or, as I was told to call those spots, "accents"). The right-hand pen has a base coat of BLO/CA as a sanding sealer, and 3 coats of Deft. The Deft left some waves that I'm not thrilled about, but it does look pretty good. The left-hand pen has two or three layers of BLO/CA, without anything else over it.

I think the right-hand pen will be going to my 17YO brother as he heads off to college.

Any hints, tips, suggestions, criticism, etc. are greatly appreciated!
---
Edit: Duh, helps to add the pics!
Cedar%20Jr%20Gents%20-%20Left%20Side.jpg

Cedar%20Jr%20Gents%20-%20Right%20Side.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dubdrvrkev

Nice Pens.
I am working on one right now from Ryan. I just love the smell when working it. Anything special to know about turning Cedar? I've heard some don't like to turn it, but haven't heard why.

WoodChucker

Jim, great looking set! I also love the smell of cedar, it gives the shop a nice clean smell when working with it that last for days. [:D]

nilsatcraft

Great looking set of pens and a beautiful card holder as well. I've only done once cedar pen but it was like turning butter and helped the shop not smell so much like me [;)]. Nice work.

wayneis

If you use the rubber block with the MM it will sand out the ripples and you will end up with a nice smooth flat surface. I cut my block into a 1" square about 3" long and thats what I use with the first couple grits of MM when I start to sand out a finish.

Wayne

airrat

Pens look great.

I enjoyed working with Cedar. The 2nd one I turned exploded on my brother when he turned it. After searching the neighborhood for pieces. The only reason I can come up with is the wood soaked up all the CA and left voids. I have used epoxy since with cedar.

JimGo

Anthony, why did you have to mention the file? Now I'm torn as to whether to put in the indentation, which I won't be able to do until at LEAST next week, or give it to him. Since he's in NJ and I'm in VA, the logistics of the transfer are the pain, unless I mail it (and then who knows what will happen to it!)

Larry, the wood is beautiful; thanks again!

Tom, thanks for the warning!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom