Catalog Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ekeogh

I am curious if anyone has a system that they use to keep a catalog of the pens they make, keeping track of kits used, wood and where all the parts were purchased.

I wish it could be done online instead of going the excel route.

would love to hear some ideas, sorry if this post doesn't belong in this section of the site

Thanks

I didn't find anything online I liked, so I use Excel. One sheet for inventory of kits, one for blanks, one for assembled (finished pens), one for turned bowls and vessels, etc. It gets kind of big, but I can quickly analyze what has sold, what is in hand, what price points sold, etc.

magpens

I don't like the overly-formal constraints of a spread-sheet.

So I just made a list in Notepad .... easy to edit and easy to search .... one line per pen with all the info (some abbreviated) I need.

Most important info is a pen I.D., such as BA 005 (Bolt Action number 5), which already contains the abbreviated kit name.
This is then followed by blank material, date that I made it, and box number in which it is stored.
One line per pen. . Very simple.

I also keep a similar list for unused inventory, and a list for bushings, specialized tools, all of which I keep in compartmentalized and externally numbered boxes.

But don't get the idea that I'm well-organized ... just spent several hours looking for a spec. tool placed in the wrong location 😖.
Some elements of character and habit are just not organize-able !!

Top Bottom