Casting Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

sahebert

I have been thinking about turning some softer woods and a few with some nice knots I have down smaller than required and then casting them in clear resin as a finish. Has anyone tried this? My biggest concern is it discoloring the wood or having a haze between the wood and resin. Also, any idea what would happen if the wood wasn't completely dry?

Thanks for the input.

Scott

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Yes, its been done and is quite effective. I've had no problems with the wood discoloring, but it does need to be dry.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by sahebert
<br />I have been thinking about turning some softer woods and a few with some nice knots I have down smaller than required and then casting them in clear resin as a finish. Has anyone tried this? My biggest concern is it discoloring the wood or having a haze between the wood and resin. Also, any idea what would happen if the wood wasn't completely dry?

Thanks for the input.

Scott

stevers

Do you intend to use pressure? It may be a good idea. It will force the resin into the voids and pores of the wood. It may not penetrate deeply into the wood, especially if the wood is fairly stable, but it will help get the resin into the surface. That should insure a good bond and eliminate the chance of air under the resin. Others will chime in and help me with this one. I am fairly new at casting, but the tutorial on casting "Worthless Wood" blanks may help also.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26599

sahebert

Thanks for the input. Looks like I may need to do a little more research before attempting it. I would love to see some pictures of pens that have been created using this method if anyone can point me in that direction.

Thanks,

Scott

its_virgil

The wood was not soft and did not need to be stabilized, but Jay Pickens did an olivewood/snakeskin pen where the olivewood half was turned just below the bushing and then cast in polyester resin and the resin was turned to the correct diameter. The easiest way to see Jay's pen is to go to Jay's gallery at http://www.penmakersguild.com I've turned below the bushing and cast in PR and had no problems and all turned out fine. I do not have a picture of the pen and the wood did not need stabilizing. Mesquiteman, aka Curtis Seebeck, has a post in this forum about casting (wood with voids and inclusions...he calls it 'worthless wood') in resin. Look back a week or 10 days.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by sahebert
<br />Thanks for the input. Looks like I may need to do a little more research before attempting it. I would love to see some pictures of pens that have been created using this method if anyone can point me in that direction.

Thanks,

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom