Casting question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I am thinking about trying out casting my own blanks. How much resin does it take to pour a 3/4 by 3/4 by 5 1/2 blank? I was hoping a seasoned veteran caster might give me some advice. Thanks in advance for your help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Alot has to do with what you are using for molds too. Not all cut and dry. I say you do your own study. At least you will get a feel for it and keep your own calculations. If you find you do not like it or it is not a money maker then you chalk it up to experience. As you do it you will learn tricks to do this more efficiently if you get into it. Just an opinion.

JohnU

I cast round 7/8" blanks and use just over an ounce for a Sierra tube on cast that comes out just under 3". I'm not sure exactly how much space the brass tube takes up or how much I save with no corners but I would guess you are roughly looking at 2-3 oz.

Brian G

My casting notes from my castings are:

1.5 oz per 3/4 × 5-1/2 round mold for polyester resin
45 g per 3/4 × 5-3/8 round mold for Alumilite urethane resin
75 g per 7/8 × 5-3/8 square mold for Alumilite urethane.

That allows for as little waste as I'm willing to tolerate. I haven't done enough epoxy resin casting to have notes.

Painfullyslow

I do not have a mold that is the same size as you are asking. I can tell you that my 1x1x6 takes 100ml of resin to fill.

I am also going to guess that each mold may be a little different. When I buy/make a mold I fill it with water and then pour into a measuring cup. I then use a permanent marker to write down the ML on each mold.

I prefer to measure by weight with my resins so from there I figure out what ratio the resin is and do some easy math.

For instance, my 5.25x6x1 mold takes 500ml.

Alumilite Clear is 1:1 so I would pour 250ml of part A into a cup and weigh it. I would then zero the scale and add part B until I got to the same weight as part A.

Liquid Diamonds is 2:1 so I would pour 333ml of part A and weigh it. I would then cut that number in half, zero the scale and add part B until I hit the correct weight.

Hope this helps!

Top Bottom