Casing, recesed clip.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

Well, I figured I would share this with you guys... I mentioned that I want to make another casing pen cap that has a recessed clip. My plan was to hollow out the primer end, mill out some of the brass inside the casing, and then make a rivet that will also serve as the primer end to hold the clip in place.

The basic idea is the same as you would recess a clip in a closed end pen, the biggest change is that the rivet to hold the clip, will show and become the primer cap. I plan to make this from a brass bolt.

More to come later, but for now the bullet has been cut down, and the primer milled off. I milled the primer off with my metal lathe and a custom bit. Under the primer cap, once cleaned out, is a hole. By using this hole to center my drill bit, I am sure that the drill bit is perfectly centered.

Here is the start of where I am now.... I will update as it I go, but it may not be done this weekend. My plan is to have this pen with me for the NE get together in Mass. I already have some bullet tip 30-06 casings powder coated, so I only need to work on the cap.

PS, I have marked the cap for where I want to clip to enter. When in a pocket, the wording will be viable and in a readable fashion. Minor thing, but way cool in a pocket!
19091.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

Keep us informed of your progress! Even though I don't have a metal lathe...

I will... I worked on the pen mills a bit today and did manage to part off another casing and clean the primer cap off. I have to decide the best way to mill it from here. I can not clean it as close as the inside of the casing, I found that out!

Top Bottom