cartridge pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fernhills

Hi, lately i have been doing almost all my drilling on the lathe. It as been a long time since i have made any cartridge pens. So i set up to drill the cap end and it occurred to me that my chuck would mar the shell casing. Soooo being a retired person and somewhat on the cheap side, there was no way i could justify the cost for a Beale collect chuck so i came up with this. Easy to make and can drill infinite number of sizes because after all we are woodworkers.

Attachments

• 20090816_1.jpg
    20090816_1.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 281
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Good job --

thought about putting a steel ring on it to squeeze the "fingers"?? -- have done that on the egg holders --

There seems to always be a possible "next refinement" on jigs --- but that one looks to be doing a good job!!

Sylvanite

That's essentially what I did for drilling brass and bullets before I bought a Beall chuck and collets. Yes, it worked - but I'm never going back. The collet chuck is much more accurate and has a better grip. No matter what you use, if it slips, it will mar the piece you are drilling.

Just my experience,
Eric

dogcatcher

I made a set of the wooden collets to fit the 3/4" Beall collet. One for each size of brass that I use and one for each caliber of bullets. The Beall 3/4" collet squeezes the wood collet good enough that I rarely have a bullet or brass catch when drilling and get marred by the wood.

fernhills

Hi, thanks for feed back... There is one thing i do differant, i think . I put the split into jaws first, so that the jaws squeeze the part that will squeeze. The hole is very close to the same dia.( 29/64th) as the shell. When you tighten down, its tight. I used the hard Maple. Carl

Top Bottom