Carbide tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

isaacrapelje

Hello I have been using high speed tools and want to get some carbide tools. I don't want to spend $300 for a set I thought I saw someone on here used to make them. I tried to search for them but could not find them. Anyone have a suggestion for some carbide tools.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

@isaacrapelje

Isaac, the member being referred to in the first post above is .... Magicbob ....

His website is ..... https://tshadow.com/

I do not have any of his tools but they are highly regarded by the IAP membership.

As alternative, there are quite a few other sets on the market, and some of our favorite vendors also sell such tools.
One popular set is Easy Wood Tools.

If you buy a set, you will usually get: (1) a round cutter with handle, (2) a square cutter with handle, and (3) a diamond shape cutter with handle
I have been able to buy such a set at a retail tool store in Canada for about CDN$120 on sale. . That would translate to about USD$85.
I'm not vouching for the quality of such a set. . But if you shop around, you might be able to find similar. . You can buy individual tools, also, you do not have to buy a set.

The square cutters sometimes come as "perfect squares" with absolutely straight edges, and sometimes with edges that are actually very large radius curves. . Your needs will dictate which style you should go for .... one of each would be ideal. . I don't find much use for the diamond cutter.
The diamond cutter might have a sharply pointed tip, or the tip might be radiussed.

Last edited:

monophoto

There are a number of suppliers of carbide cutters.

I bought mine from Captain Eddie. He's not been well, and his turning has slowed down considerably, but I think he's still selling cutters through his web site. If you go back to some of his earlier videos, he has instructions on how to make shanks and handles to go with his cutters.

There is a selection of cutters to choose from. I opted for a large (18mm) round cutter, a small (10mm) round cutter, and a radiused square cutter. The smaller the cutter, the more aggressive the tool will be. You can also buy true squares - the main advantage is that they can make sharp corners in turnings, but they tend to be 'catchy' - and also diamond-shaped detailers.

You will also need so mild steel stock to make the tool shafts, some wood for handles, and some copper pipe for ferules. Therein lies the second choice you must make - round shank versus square shank. A key point to remember about carbide cutters is that they need to be presented to the wood at a slight angle. The advantage of a round shank is that it rolls more smoothly on the tool rest as you change that angle. The advantage of a square shank is that you know that the cutter is aligned to the square face, so can tell the angle of the cutter even if you can't see the cutter because it's covered in shavings. Six of one, half dozen of the other. I put the small round cutter on a square shank because I tend to use it for hollowing where it gets covered by shavings, but frankly, I don't think it makes much difference in use. I will say that it make be a bit easier to make the required notch in a square shank.

You will need to cut a notch in the end of the shank to hold the cutter, and it may be easier to cut that notch in a square shank compared with a round shank - although I don't think it's a big difference in effort. The notch doesn't have to be deep - the dimensions of the flat should be such that the cutter will be locked in place by the edge of the flat and won't be able to rotate on its own.. In a square shank, the notch doesn't have to be any deeper than the thickness of the cutter. My grinder is 6", so it tends to do a hollow grind, so I had to do some additional shaping with a file to make the flat truly flat. Not a big deal.

I have never attempted to make a shank to hold a diamond-shaped cutter. I think that would be a challenge unless you are an experienced machinist and have the tools to make the necessary recess. But you can easily use a HSS parting tool to do anything that you can do with a carbide detailer.

Drill and tap a hole to receive the mounting screw that holds the cutter in place. Captain Eddie supplies screws with his cutters (and tells you what size they are), but you may have to shop for appropriate screws if you purchase cutters from some other vendor. Tapping the hole is tedious - it's a small hole, and small taps tend to break if you get too aggressive. On my first try, I spent more on taps than on cutters!

Final point, after shaping the shank, and test-fitting the cutter, remove the cutter and do a relief grind under the nose of the shank. You want the cutter to extend past the end of the shank, but you need to remove unnecessary metal under the leading edge of the cutter so that the shank doesn't interfere with the ability of the cutter to engage with the wood.

Last edited:

greenacres2

I own and like MagicBob's Magical Skew. I also have and like tools made by John Austin (user hanau), whose pricing is excellent. Use both on virtually every pen turned. John can custom-make lengths that fit if it's not on his web site.
earl

sbwertz

My husband made them for the blind center. He started with steel rod, ground a flat on one end, drilled and tapped it for a machine screw and my blind turners turned handles for them. He made them from square stock, grinding off the corners on the top to fit the holes for the handles. He used half inch stock for the large roughing cutters, and 3/8 inch stock for the smaller detail cutters. The only one he didn't make was the diamond cutter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom