UPS backup

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

I'm replacing my Cyber Power 550VA. Do I upgrade...get the same? What is the difference with the higher number units? Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gregf

Typically the number relates to the amount of load the ups will power.
Some ups's you can add additional batteries to extend run time but you still can't exceed the load capacity.
For most consumer grade ups's the VA goes up with the battery capacity to extend the runtime.
In most cases runtime is really what you are interested in.
Frequently the vendors have a spec sheet that approximates the runtime for a given number of computers.
It's not unusual for people to plug a power strip into a ups then plug everything into the power strip that really doesn't need to be on the ups.
Printers for example.

lorbay

What about CPAP machines. ?? The backup battery for one of these is stupidly priced for this specific purpose.
Lin

PBorowick

Are you looking to keep running for an extended amount of time or just to keep the systems running when you get a brownout?
If its extended (10 minutes or more) that starts to turn into a fairly large UPS. If its for brown outs or to have enough time to safely shut down your computer then a 550 should be plenty.

GaryMGg

Computer, printer, modem, I'm in S. Florida and electric is finicky
If you're just looking to survive Florida Flicker and Flash, you merely need a UPS which can support those 3 for an instant here and there.
APC has online calculators to help you select the appropriate unit.

WriteON

Bought a CyberPower 1350. I opened the current one(550VA) to replace battery. Leaked like a mother something.

Top Bottom