Calligraphy Set from William Wood Write

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mmayo

mmayo

I saw these and it instantly connected with requests I have had to sell calligraphy pens. The boxed set looks great with three nibs included with ink cartridges. I'm making two for now to test the waters.

Shipping takes a bit longer from Canada but worth the wait.

Sorry about the tag as they go on display later today. One is purple crush and the other is blue dyed box elder burl. Finish is four coats thin 5 cps EZ Bond and twelve coats of pen finish EZ Bond 50 cps.

Attachments

• C8B13F80-AADC-4254-86F8-E96D23ECF301.jpeg
    C8B13F80-AADC-4254-86F8-E96D23ECF301.jpeg
    266 KB · Views: 214
  • CEDFF271-64A3-44E5-964F-62211C3D602C.jpeg
    CEDFF271-64A3-44E5-964F-62211C3D602C.jpeg
    326.6 KB · Views: 210
  • 10BA5DBA-7DF8-4D18-9D8E-A28C40B30980.jpeg
    10BA5DBA-7DF8-4D18-9D8E-A28C40B30980.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 180
  • 9719E450-8E50-4EB1-9F3A-820D118C98B0.jpeg
    9719E450-8E50-4EB1-9F3A-820D118C98B0.jpeg
    277.2 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

Thanks. It has an odd thread arrangement compared to jr or other 12.5 mm 10.5 tube kits.
Mark, I believe Darrin meant that the nib/feed/housing will unscrew from the metallic section, and those threads match the JoWo #5 housing threads.

I bought some of the kits and hoped the nib units would be either JoWo or Bock so I could swap out nib units if somebody would prefer one standard nib and a couple of calligraphy nibs. (Or steal a calligraphy nibs for one of my custom pens, I've made several that take JoWo #5 units.)

Yours look excellent, I'm especially drawn to that royal blue.

mmayo

Mark, I believe Darrin meant that the nib/feed/housing will unscrew from the metallic section, and those threads match the JoWo #5 housing threads.

I bought some of the kits and hoped the nib units would be either JoWo or Bock so I could swap out nib units if somebody would prefer one standard nib and a couple of calligraphy nibs. (Or steal a calligraphy nibs for one of my custom pens, I've made several that take JoWo #5 units.)

I admit a lack of experience with swapping nibs, but that does not mean I can't learn or don't wish to learn. Please provide a link to a JoWo #5 so I can investigate. I really like to give customers a wide range of options. Thanks for your help.

I liked the blue one too, lots of interesting details developed in the resin infusion. I bought the blank.

duncsuss

I admit a lack of experience with swapping nibs, but that does not mean I can't learn or don't wish to learn. Please provide a link to a JoWo #5 so I can investigate. I really like to give customers a wide range of options. Thanks for your help.

I liked the blue one too, lots of interesting details developed in the resin infusion. I bought the blank.

Hi Mark,

There are several sources - in the USA, the official JoWo distributor is MeisterNibs (which is owned by Edison Pen Co.) This LINK takes you to their selection of steel nibs, some size #5 and some size #6. They also have 14K and 18K gold nibs.

Another source is FPnibs.com (based in Spain), they offer customizations like keyhole or heart shaped breather holes, and engraving on the nibs, as well as steel or gold nibs.

mmayo

Hi Mark,

There are several sources - in the USA, the official JoWo distributor is MeisterNibs (which is owned by Edison Pen Co.) This LINK takes you to their selection of steel nibs, some size #5 and some size #6. They also have 14K and 18K gold nibs.

Another source is FPnibs.com (based in Spain), they offer customizations like keyhole or heart shaped breather holes, and engraving on the nibs, as well as steel or gold nibs.
Thanks very much

darrin1200

@mmayo
That is somewhat the idea, except that they won't actually swap out by screwing in the feed housing. While I think you can swap out the nibs themselves, the feed and housing are longer with the calligraphy nib. This could be a problem when just swapping nibs, as I believe the feed and housing on the calligraphy nibs are designed to provide more ink for the broader nib.
4C6E7C16-43CB-4326-B2D3-C43C5785463D.jpegEE3A8DFC-DDB1-411D-8A36-2562745E86CA.jpeg
The thread on the calligraphy housing however, is the same as the #5 Jowo 6.5x.5 (I use a 6.4x. So if you make your own sections, you can create one to fit this nib set.
1E1026C1-97F4-48F2-BEE3-2E0C5DF6C0D2.jpeg

That being said, I just checked and it appears that the metal section of the Eros set is a 9x.75 thread, which I believe is a much more common tap available at Victor Machinery
You can purchase the sections with nibs at William Wood-write, individually, for an excellent price.

It looks like you can get the Jowo tap at Turners Warehouse, or FPNibs.

I hope this helps a little.

mmayo

@mmayo
That is somewhat the idea, except that they won't actually swap out by screwing in the feed housing. While I think you can swap out the nibs themselves, the feed and housing are longer with the calligraphy nib. This could be a problem when just swapping nibs, as I believe the feed and housing on the calligraphy nibs are designed to provide more ink for the broader nib.
View attachment 301619View attachment 301618
The thread on the calligraphy housing however, is the same as the #5 Jowo 6.5x.5 (I use a 6.4x. So if you make your own sections, you can create one to fit this nib set.
View attachment 301620

That being said, I just checked and it appears that the metal section of the Eros set is a 9x.75 thread, which I believe is a much more common tap available at Victor Machinery
You can purchase the sections with nibs at William Wood-write, individually, for an excellent price.

It looks like you can get the Jowo tap at Turners Warehouse, or FPNibs.

I hope this helps a little.
It helped a lot. I'll visit William Wood-Write to determine what to buy. It would seem to fully populate the kit with both regular writing nib AND the calligraphy nibs might be a very good call. Thanks

Top Bottom