CA & Tung Oil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jmaxcy

Hi all

I turned one of RockBs beautiful buckeye burls last night and noticed some inclusions to be handled, which is fine. I wanted to fill them with CA. I was going to sand a bit first just to get the shape I want, then fill them and coat The blank with CA Between grits to 600 just to harden the wood a bit.

I typically sand to 600 without using CA, then when I'm done do a coat of tung oil just to bring out the grain. Will my coats of CA prior to applying tung oil impact its ability to pop the grain? Newbie here so any guidance is appreciated.
Thanks!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Maybe, maybe not. If you fill the inclusions and sand it (CA build up in the inclusions) smooth - or turn it smooth, then the TO can/will pop the grain except in those areas.

"Pop the grain" - in general it means to make the grain more contrast. Amber colored oils more often will pop the grain better than clear oils will. Is your TO clear or slightly amber? I have had slightly amber TO, but most now are clear.

Jmaxcy

Maybe, maybe not. If you fill the inclusions and sand it (CA build up in the inclusions) smooth - or turn it smooth, then the TO can/will pop the grain except in those areas.

"Pop the grain" - in general it means to make the grain more contrast. Amber colored oils more often will pop the grain better than clear oils will. Is your TO clear or slightly amber? I have had slightly amber TO, but most now are clear.
It's clear, and just to clarify it's a "tung oil finish" from watco. Understand it's not pure tung oil. Maybe I'll put CA and sand and see how it looks without the tung.

I get what your saying now that the inclusion will be largely CA which obviously won't be impacted by the tung oil like the wood will. Would imagine this may actually look splotchy or out of place / unnatural.

Jmaxcy

It's clear, and just to clarify it's a "tung oil finish" from watco. Understand it's not pure tung oil. Maybe I'll put CA and sand and see how it looks without the tung.

I get what your saying now that the inclusion will be largely CA which obviously won't be impacted by the tung oil like the wood will. Would imagine this may actually look splotchy or out of place / unnatural.
Is there a way to fill the inclusion using shavings and CA so it doesn't look so much like a hole? Or is that a bad idea?

leehljp

Member Liaison
Is there a way to fill the inclusion using shavings and CA so it doesn't look so much like a hole? Or is that a bad idea?
Many people fill in with shavings, sawdust, crushed rock/mineral of different colors for contrast. IN most cases it is for contrast, but your case it is make it less obvious. It will work, but different sawdusts turn different colors when covered in CA. I would make a few different ones to see which one would be less obvious.

Top Bottom