CA technique

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BULLWINKLE

Instead of using the non stick bushings (I don't have) I thought of changing to smaller diameter bushings before applying the CA.
That should enable you to use CA without getting it on the bushings.
Should work in theory. Has anyone tried this ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

Instead of using the non stick bushings (I don't have) I thought of changing to smaller diameter bushings before applying the CA.
That should enable you to use CA without getting it on the bushings.
Should work in theory. Has anyone tried this ?
Honestly, the non stick bushings still kind of stick. I'm not sure how small the bushings you're talking about are, but if they are close to the diameter of your blank, they'll probably stick. You could try it though and as an extra precaution, you could try waxing them.

Rob H

I don't think its a good idea if you are doing a wood blank but sometimes i put a little paste wax on the end of the bushing with cast blanks and it helps me but would probably interfere with the finish on wood.

Muddydogs

If you have 60 degree centers just put the blank between them with no bushings. Sand the end of the blank on a flat surface to remove any CA that gets over the edge and if you slop CA on the centers a quick sanding with 800 or 1000 grit cleans them right up. Place a small dowel between center to drive the tail stock center to clean it up.

jttheclockman

If you have 60 degree centers just put the blank between them with no bushings. Sand the end of the blank on a flat surface to remove any CA that gets over the edge and if you slop CA on the centers a quick sanding with 800 or 1000 grit cleans them right up. Place a small dowel between center to drive the tail stock center to clean it up.
And that is how I do it also. I finish all pens with that method. Now this photo was in conjunction with a question someone asked me on another thread about my set up for taking photos. In it I mentioned the lathe in the background has my centers in the chuck for finishing and polishing. They just happen to be there because the last few pens I shown came off the lathe with that set up.

shop picture setup #1.JPG

jrista

This is what I do as well. I have some older 60 degree centers with marring marks and brass rings. I use that set as my finishing centers, so I can keep my turning centers pristine and turning as true as possible.

wouldentu2?

I use the plastic bushings but turn them down because I found the cone shape interfered with the wiping on of the CA. I sand with the plastic bushings also.

Now I have turned , sanded and applied CA on hundreds of pens with the metal bushing and had few problems with chipping but when using light colored woods its easier to keep the metal sanding particle off the light wood.

A .330 bushing worn down makes it easier to use CA to get back to .330 when finishing.

Top Bottom