CA screw up...need help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnm

I did a Jr Gent 2 that i used a wood finnial cap, so the whole pen was closed end. I turned a tenon on a cap, and glued it into the top end of the pen cap... when i did, i made a mess and got CA on my fingers and all over the cap, or at least it seems like a lot. How do you recommend i go about sanding this stuff off or removing it without screwing up the finish, or how i can get it off and refinish. I can't put it on the lathe very well, i could probably get it on but the clip is glued in and it would get in the way....

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Sand and refinish by hand would be my first try. If that doesn't work, pour acetone inside the barrel to loosen the CA glue and remove the finial. Third option would be to drill out the finial to remove the clip.

Lesson - don't use CA to glue in parts. Not only can this happen, but it will off gas for up to several weeks or months and can ruin the nib and/or grip section that is trapped inside the cap with the CA. Use epoxy instead. You will have some time to clean up any mess before it sets and, IMO, it is a better glue than CA.

rherrell

Stan gave you some great advice. Wet epoxy will clean up with DNA and won't harm the plating.
Why did you glue in the clip? A better choice is blue Loctite. They make it in a gel that I like alot and you can still get the pen apart if needed.

johnm

Thanks

Thank you both for responding... Stan, i will try all of these options, i appreciate the help very much. Mr. Cook, the response to your question is that i didn't know any better... i know now.

John

workinforwood

I would not sand the metal, just put acetone on a rag and wipe wipe wipe. you can mask the finished wood to prevent damaging the finish on the wood, as the acetone will dissolve CA.
I personally never had your problem before :)

Thanks for the loctite tip Rick..you fountain of knowlede you!

johnm

Thanks

That's part of the problem, the CA smeared all over the finished CA wood... so now it looks like a reallly nice pen, with crud all over it... I probably need to get that wood finnial off, and put it back on the lathe and re-finish.

John

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
John, I agree that taking the finial off and going back to the lathe is likely the best idea, even if you destroy your finial. Frustrating, yes, but it sounds like you are turning this into a learning experience, and that is important. Can we see the finished pen when it looks like a really nice pen without crud all over it?

Top Bottom