CA Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Are you using accelerant? That can cause whitening. If you really have to use some...let it sit a bit before doing so.

If you are wiping your pen with denatured alcohol...let it evaporate first before putting CA...that too acts as accelerant.

its_virgil

My thoughts on the white, or cloudy, spots is this: The cloudy spots are where the CA has not stuck to the wood and for me, it usually doesn't show up until I start sanding and polishing, which makes the CA transparent and the underneath wood can be seen. The non stuck spots appear to be cloudy or white spots. Be sure to wipe the wood with DNA to remove oils which can cause the cloudy spots. Sometimes I have encountered an area on a blank that will cloud no matter what I do. don't know why or what to do about it. But most of my cloudy issues have been solved after I started wiping the blank with DNA and I also use CA/BLO and not just the CA alone. Application seems to make a difference. Be sure you get good coverage work the CA is onto the wood on the entire blank. A little pressure is needed, I think and the paper towel applicator will get stiff as if it were plastic. I don't stop the application until the applicator cloth has turned to "plastic".

Just my thoughts on the clouding issue. Others may offer more and even better thoughts. These are the things I've observed. Other penturners may be more observant.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by jbyrd24
<br />First let me say sorry if this has been asked a thousand times
before, but.............
Sometimes the CA whitens while I do a CA only finish.
What is making it do that[?]

jbyrd24

Thanks Don. I may not be working the CA in enough. I have been using wax paper as an applicator. I was alittle afraid to use a paper towel on straight CA even though I do on BLO/CA. Have been using the DNA. Another thought is maybe the DNA isn't dry enough before I apply the CA. This would cause moisture to be in between the wood and CA creating a white area.

Thanks for your help, I'll give it a try.[:D]

its_virgil

Maybe some of the wax on the wax paper is causing the problem. There are many different materials used for applicators: viva PT, bounty PT, packing peanuts, unwashed terry cloth, various synthetic fabrics, plastic baggies....one bowl turner at the Utah symposium in Provo used his bare fingers. He said peeling off the CA gave him something to do while he was not turning. I've tried every applicatior material that I've read about and the only one that works for me is bounty paper towels.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by jbyrd24
<br />Thanks Don. creating a white area.

Thanks for your help, I'll give it a try.[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom