CA issues & ?'s

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fish30114

I am looking for input on folks Favorite CA glue(s)--thin, medium, thick or whatever. I have like Stick Fast previously, but I had bought several bottles of the 4 oz size, and 2 of them, which I have had for 12-14 months had solidified completely in the bottles. I like to buy several bottles when I find a good price--so I would like input on whether or not others have had this same issue, and what brands you folks would recommend. Any input advice is appreciated!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Ever since I started turning pens some 15 years ago I used Satellite City CA glue and never looked back. So many brands and other products keep getting promoted here but I continue to ignore because I am from the school of it is not broke don't fix it. So for me it is not broke and still very happy with the results when used. There is a ton of info on their site and I included a link to their frequently asked question sheet. Take a look for yourself. I only use thin and Med. You can read how to store when buying a couple extra bottles.

https://www.caglue.com/Frequently-A...-from-Satellite-City-Instant-Glues_ep_42.html

mg_dreyer

For me you simply cannot beat GluBoost. More of a liquid finish in a bottle than I consider a CA.

My technique is here: Mark Dreyer - GluBoost Technique

Only 4 to 5 coats and I have a consistent glass like finish. You can apply lathe on or lathe off. The accelerator is part of the system and really needs to be used. It will not leave white spots nor yellow like many other brands and is an aerosol so a spritz goes a long way. I have been using it for a few years now - since an MPG in 2018 and have had no issues. Clear, easy and consistent. I believe many people on this board use it. I use the Fill N Finish (Blue) first to give a leveling action - 2 coats. Very very easy steel wool (#0000) in between - only if needed. Then 2 - 3 coats of Fill N Finish Thin (orange). Then micromesh and buff. I know Ed carries it at ExoticBlanks.

If you try it let me know what you think

wouldentu2?

BSI (Bob Smith Industries) Super Gold Thin.

No odor, no cracking and no chipping when removing from bushings.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200724-210753~2.png
    Screenshot_20200724-210753~2.png
    463.1 KB · Views: 109

JohnU

I think I've used every brand out there. I had some issues with cracks showing up a year or so later in some finishes, yellowing and white spots. Some of the issues were from the accelerator but still brittle glue for finishing. If you want CA for gluing I don't think it matters what you use but if your looking for a ca finish I don't think you can beat GluBoost. The quickest I've ever completed a ca finish and without compromising quality.

jcm71

One thing not mentioned in your OP is how did you store your CA. Keeping it at room temp significantly reduces its shelf life. I keep mine in the garage refrigerator, and I have read here that some members keep theirs in the freezer. The only CA I have in the shop is about 1 oz each of thin, medium, and thick. EZ Bond is my CA of choice. And in my opinion Stick Fast is horrible for finishes. Only thing it is good for is gluing tubes.

turnit2020

I use stick Fast as well. Have had no issues with that brand. I place the bottles in the refrigerator and take them out a half hour before use. After use they go back in the frig. That seems to extend the shelf life of the glues. Since that brand has worked so well for me I have not used the more expensive brands.
Turncrazy43

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Regarding storage, GluBoost advises storing at 40 degrees Fahrenheit, until opening. Then they say NOT to cool it, because it will cause condensation in the bottle, which will contribute to faster aging.

Certainly, use your own judgement. Just letting you know what the manufacturer of ONE glue recommends!!

TonyL

I started dating my bottles. Assuming they are relatively securely closed, they get discarded after 1 year. I don't have the desire to ask the manufacturer (using lot numbers) when it was made so I may be discarding too early. I also found that Mercury or Gluboost go on sale often enough that there is always a bargain to be found considering my pen turning frequency. I have used EZ cure, BSI, (not the Gold though), stickfast and hot stuff - never experienced a problem. I use Mercury flex thin and medium and gluboost (separately). I use Mercury 75% of the time and GB the rest.

Humongous

Ever since I started turning pens some 15 years ago I used Satellite City CA glue and never looked back. So many brands and other products keep getting promoted here but I continue to ignore because I am from the school of it is not broke don't fix it. So for me it is not broke and still very happy with the results when used. There is a ton of info on their site and I included a link to their frequently asked question sheet. Take a look for yourself. I only use thin and Med. You can read how to store when buying a couple extra bottles.

https://www.caglue.com/Frequently-A...-from-Satellite-City-Instant-Glues_ep_42.html
Same as JT and never had an issue

ramaroodle

For me you simply cannot beat GluBoost. More of a liquid finish in a bottle than I consider a CA.

My technique is here: Mark Dreyer - GluBoost Technique

Only 4 to 5 coats and I have a consistent glass like finish. You can apply lathe on or lathe off. The accelerator is part of the system and really needs to be used. It will not leave white spots nor yellow like many other brands and is an aerosol so a spritz goes a long way. I have been using it for a few years now - since an MPG in 2018 and have had no issues. Clear, easy and consistent. I believe many people on this board use it. I use the Fill N Finish (Blue) first to give a leveling action - 2 coats. Very very easy steel wool (#0000) in between - only if needed. Then 2 - 3 coats of Fill N Finish Thin (orange). Then micromesh and buff. I know Ed carries it at ExoticBlanks.

If you try it let me know what you think
Exactly what Mark Dreyer said. Love the product and the technique! Have never looked back since I watched his video. There are times when I use standard CA for filling, repairing and saturating punky blanks but as rule it's GluBoost.

Last edited:

RunnerVince

Cap'n Eddie recommended Starbond, and I saw a demo of it last year at SWAT in Waco, so I tried it and have had great results. I didn't have great luck with BSI, but I think that was more on me and my lack of experience/technique. I can get that locally, so next time I need glue I'm going to give it another shot and see if all the lessons I've learned make up the difference. I know my brother uses BSI and gets great results.

cmiller

I used StickFast for a while but got a lot of checking and cracking. Switched to Mercury Adhesives Flex thin and medium and haven't had a problem since.

Top Bottom