CA finish--trying it-first time

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

RonMc1954

This may be a dumb question, but do you have to worry about glueing the bushings to the blank, when using CA for a finish? I have never done it but love the results I've seen.
RonMc1954

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Yes, yes, and yes. Thin CA will wick inbetween the tubes amd bushings, the wood and the busings, the bushings and the mandrel. Med and thick are not so bad. Some have real problems at first with CA glueing their parts all together and others don't. You may want to wax your bushings to keep the glue from sticking to them. I don't wax my bushings and have not glued parts together yet. I'm just real careful when using CA. Acetone is a good release agent for CA. Keep some close to the lathe or where ever you use CA. Good luck with you CA finish!
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by RonMc1954
<br />This may be a dumb question, but do you have to worry about glueing the bushings to the blank, when using CA for a finish? I have never done it but love the results I've seen.
RonMc1954

guts

Ron,Don is right for sure,i apply the glue then loosen the ferrel nut and use my exato knife to seperate the bushing and the barrel a little till it dries then start over.

RonMc1954

Thanks guys, the ca finish turned out pretty good, but I still seem to have a problem with the classic rollerball transmission. Another one for the scrap bin. And a question for the other forum. I am not glued to the lathe either[:D]

gerryr

Classic rollerball transmission???? What kit are you talking about. I've built several different rollerball kits and haven't seen a transmission in any of them.

gerryr

Why don't post on the Penturning forum what problems you're having with the Parker transmission. I know you'll get lots of help.

TomServo

Ron: In my attempts (mostly failed) at a CA finish, I've had good success with scoring a line in the CA where the bushing meets the barrel, and then you can slide them off the mandrel and slip the bushing into a punch or the end of the mandrel, and just snap it off. It'll break where you scored the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom