Byzantine Chain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mach4

When I saw the post by jalbert a couple weeks ago on his amazing Byzantine Bracelet, I thought that this would make for a very interesting pen….

5701AF00-9D23-4576-9B47-1B0D0760FB22.jpeg

So I set out to see if I could accomplish something along that line. I decided to try 3D printing a pen using that basic concept. I first thought about designing one in CAD but actually found an OpenScad file that TrenchCoatGuy had uploaded to Thingiverse.

24597B68-7F6E-4BDF-A872-8B845CAD2271.jpeg

Obviously you can't make a pen out of a chain, so I opened the file in OpenScad and modified it by making the ring wire diameter larger, adding links to the model and decreased the aspect ratio so the rings would overlap each other a bit to create a rigid item rather than a chain. I exported the model as an .stl file and printed it to see how it might work.

61ABA7D0-2BAB-4AEB-AA55-EBBE21A253EC.jpeg

It looked good and was the right size so I imported it into Fusion 360 and converted the mesh into a brep solid where I could work on it. I modeled a ring on the front and back for the tip and back end. I then "drilled" it through to accept 7mm brass tubes and Slimline transmission, extruded a "wall" around the hole to provide additional support and designed the tip and the back end.

E6989697-6D39-484D-B947-C5D1A9821BC5.jpeg

Finally I 3D printed the design and finished it in a metallic paint and a black wash to give it some depth. All in all a fun and challenging exercise based on a members silversmithing project. Here's the final product….

C02F3595-79E3-4EAD-800F-E99F0240BF4F.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very interesting and VERY creative ! ! ! !

I have to admit that my vocabulary can't quite keep up ! !

That's gotta be one of the more creative things we've seen in a while. VERY nice!
WONDERING - There are a number (I use 3) of things that make a pen "perfect" and feel in the hand is a big one (balance, texture, etc). One of my favorite "bad designs" is the shock absorber from PSI. Totally unusable for more than a few seconds. Yours isn't anywhere near that but I'm wondering if it could then be cast in a clearish resin and then turned?
I'm a BIG fan of this one and I hope you take this a bit further (sales?).
WELL DONE!

Top Bottom