bushings all the same??????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mvaldez

I have been using a mandrel and bushings i got from Wood Craft for almost a year now to make all my pens. Last week i bought a new kit and bushings from Berra and the bushings dont fit my mandrel. They are too big and flop around. Are the bushings interchangeable from brand to brand? Or is it mandrels are different?

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Berea has an "A" shaft mandrel and a "B" shaft. Woodcraft's are all "A's"
The "A" has a diameter of IIRC, 7mm and the "B"is about 8mm. Looks like you got "B" bushings from Berea.

Jim Smith

This might be a good time for you to try turning between the centers. You will need a 60 degree dead center for your head stock and a 60 degree live center for your tailstock. Just put the bushings in the blank as you normally do, place the blank between the centers and tighten the tailstock in place. Don't tighten too much so start out slowly. You can only turn one barrel at a time, but you virtually eliminate the out-of-round problems many people face when using a mandrel that has been slightly bent from too much pressure. Once you start turning between centers, most people never go back to using a mandrel. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

Top Bottom