Buffing?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David350

I recently purchased the Beall 3 wheel buffing system for my lathe. It has Tripoli, White Diamond, and Carnauba wax / wheels. I have 2 questions for those who have used buffing wheels before:

1. For acrylic pens and stoppers, what part in the finishing process do you turn to the buffing system? I have traditionally wet sanded starting at 320 to 800, and then use the 9 pad micromesh, then Novus 3-2-1. I'm wondering if I still use micromesh and then go to buffing, eliminating the Novus, etc.

2. For wood pens with a CA finish, the same question, what part of the process do you go to the buffing wheels.

Thanks in advance for any assistance, David

More4dan

I buff after MM with a single rouge, pink compound which is a bit finer than white diamond. The CA finish over wood leaves an acrylic finish so it gets sanded and polished the same as plastic.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

TonyL

Same answer for CA and non-woods. I dry sand to 2000 (Nortons or 3M), then hit the wheels. I also go a few steps finer than white diamond and don't use the wax. I use Rejex which is a synthetic wax as a protectorant. I only use MM for M3 and Trustone. There are dozens of ways to approach this. You find the one that you are most pleased with. Enjoy the wheels!

Chasper

For resin pens I dry sand to 600, wet sand through the full set of micro mesh, then buff with tripoli, Caswell P22 and Caswell P37 in that order. Often I skip the tripoli. If the resin is Aluminite I add a coat of Plastix Polish.

For wood and antler pens, sand to 400 and immediately after applying the final coat of CA (I really mean immediately, while the CA is still hot) I buff with Caswell P37. I add a coat of Plastix Polish on antler

Top Bottom