Buffing dust

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MPVic

I need some feedback on what I consider to be excessive dust from buffing CA finishes. It resembles fine talcum powder that gets all over everything.
Now don't laugh, but my "shop" is in a pantry in our condominium apartment, 4 ft. x 7 ft. is stretching it - so all of you dear folks who are complaining you don't have enough space ..... well, DON'T!!!! ;)
I have this equipment for dust collection:
MyDustCollector.jpg
And I am using the Beall on-the-lathe buffing system. I am careful not to charge the wheels too much but still am getting a great deal of fine dust to the point where I thinking of selling it.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I am not the expert on this by any means, but that looks like overkill for a 4x7 room. It sounds like you need an air filtration system or a finer filter bag for your DC.

That DC should suck in every particle of dust, but without the right bag - 1 micron bag, the extra fine particles will blow right back out.

Filtration system: https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-W18...&sprefix=ceiling+mounted+dust+,aps,300&sr=8-2

RobS

One of the guys will jump in, but you want a hepa level filter or at least a 1micron. Depends what you are going for. I run the 1 micron filter but I still wear a full respirator. Since its not hepa, the .3-1micron particles can screw you up.

I have this plus an oneida cyclone

I did buy this for work, since it has a hepa filter, wish I could buy it for home:

What Mr. Vic said. It sounds to me like you're using way too much white diamond on the wheel. The Tripoli and Wax shouldn't cast off any dust, but the white diamond will. I can do three knife scales with a very limited amount of the diamond stick. One way to see if you are is to compare the "shine" after applying the Tripoli then the white diamond. If the piece still doesn't have a high luster to it you've got too much of the diamond stick on the wheel. It takes just a bit of the white diamond to do the trick but the piece should be pretty bright after using it.

JimB

Did you 'break in' the buffing wheels before using them? New wheels have a lot of 'stuff' in them that will get removed when you break them in. Also, sounds like too much compound, as others have said.

MPVic

One of the guys will jump in, but you want a hepa level filter or at least a 1micron. Depends what you are going for. I run the 1 micron filter but I still wear a full respirator. Since its not hepa, the .3-1micron particles can screw you up.

I have this plus an oneida cyclone

I did buy this for work, since it has a hepa filter, wish I could buy it for home:
I am not the expert on this by any means, but that looks like overkill for a 4x7 room. It sounds like you need an air filtration system or a finer filter bag for your DC.

That DC should suck in every particle of dust, but without the right bag - 1 micron bag, the extra fine particles will blow right back out.

Filtration system: https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-W1830-3-Speed-Hanging/dp/B008DPYSS4/ref=sr_1_2?crid=NNZ81QOSO83W&dchild=1&keywords=ceiling+mounted+dust+collector&qid=1605565286&sprefix=ceiling+mounted+dust+,aps,300&sr=8-2
Thank you for your suggestions - I do in fact have a 1 micron HEPA cartridge filter on my DC.

MPVic

Sounds to me like you might be applying too much buffing compound.
What Mr. Vic said. It sounds to me like you're using way too much white diamond on the wheel. The Tripoli and Wax shouldn't cast off any dust, but the white diamond will. I can do three knife scales with a very limited amount of the diamond stick. One way to see if you are is to compare the "shine" after applying the Tripoli then the white diamond. If the piece still doesn't have a high luster to it you've got too much of the diamond stick on the wheel. It takes just a bit of the white diamond to do the trick but the piece should be pretty bright after using it.
Guys, you were right, I am using too much compound - I stopped charging the wheels and the dust was barely noticeable. Thank you.

MPVic

Did you 'break in' the buffing wheels before using them? New wheels have a lot of 'stuff' in them that will get removed when you break them in. Also, sounds like too much compound, as others have said.
Jim:
I had never heard of 'breaking in' the wheels before so I will do that - thank you for your input.

PreacherJon

All I can tell you is I don't use a buffing wheel with CA. I work my way through Micro Mesh... If I find it necessary I will wet them down so I can see the slurry. No real dust issues.

Top Bottom