Buffer - looking for ideas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bradh

I want to set up a proper buffer rig, but I do not want to change in and out a lathe mounted buffer wheel set-up.
I am considering making my own buffer rig possibly from a bench grinder. That rig would only have two buff wheels, is that enough? Most lathe systems have 3 wheels.
Another idea to set up a motor, pulleys, belt and shaft set-up. This allows more buffs, but will be a fair bit of work and expense. I am not sure I have enough room in my shop for a rig like that.

I am looking to explore other peoples experiences and hopefully save myself some mistakes.
Anyone have experience with making a buffer and is willing to share some advice?
Thanks,
Brad Harding,
HardingPens.com

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TBone

Can't help much, I use a paint roller on the lathe for ever how many wheels I need. I use 3 sections, one for white diamond, one for plastic polish and one clean. I haven't done any acrylics so I may find that I need one for tripoli, but then it's just a few bucks at Lowes for 3 more

Rifleman1776

Like anything, depends on what you want.
If you don't want to use your lathe (which, BTW, I find very handy), buying used grinders is an excellent way to go. These can be found in flea markets and garage sales for little money. Remove the guards, slap on a buffing wheel and go for it.

tas2181

I believe Beall recommends a speed around the 1700 rpm range- so you would need a slow speed grinder. I have my buffer mounted on an old Homier wood lathe that I bought for a song at a garage sale and have the speed set at 1500 rpm.

Tom

broitblat

I bought the 2 wheel Pro-Buff from PSI (purchased through WoodTurningz). It was relatively inexpensive and seems to do the job reasonably enough.

bradh

Originally posted by jaywood1207
<br />Good question Brad. I would also like to set up a buffing system but I thought a grinder might be too fast. What's the best speed to buff at?

I looked up buffing on the net and both sites I reviewed had the same formula. They recommened buffing at 3000-7000 feet per minute as the surface speed for the buffing wheel. They gave a simple formula to work out surface speed:
(Buff wheel diameter(inches) / 4 )x RPM,
so a 8" wheel running at 3000 RPM would come out to 6000 ft/min. These were general rules for buffing steel and plastic.
I know how fast I want the buff to run, I am trying to work out the mechanics of getting it spinning.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and comments.
Brad

sandking

I have an old 6" Craftsman Variable speed grinder I setup as a buffing station. I bought 4 1/2" buffing wheels at Ace Hardware and mounted one for Tripoli and one for White Diamond. Works well for me. I think at times I have it too fast b/c the white diamond leaves a residue like it gums up but that's ok b/c I take it back to the lathe and wipe it with a cotton towel before applying Plastic polish.

Fangar

Here is what I use:

buffer2.jpg

I have different wheels for different stock. These are my aluminum wheels, hence the black residue. It was under 15 bucks for the whole setup with two wheels. 5/8" threaded rod, turned down on one end to fit the jacobs, and center tapped on one end for the live center.

Fangar

nvillerod

TBone:

Any certain type of paint roller you are using? An interesting and simple concept. I am going to try a similar setup myself.

Thanks for the tip

Rod

Randy_

The recommendation from the guy who originally posted this idea was to use a natural wool roller with a long nap...1" or longer. They are a lot more expensive than the synthetic rollers(about $10). I assume there was some reason for using the more expensive roller; but don't recall that it was ever mentioned.

woodwish

When I got my new and bigger lathe I hated to get rid of my trusty Delta Midi so that became a semi-permanant home for my Beall buffing system. However, I use it less and less. The wax finish looks great at first but wax attracts moisture. Living in Florida the humiduty at times would make the finish look cloudy so onlu use it to touch up older pieces that have a wax finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom