Bud Vase

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from holmqer

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Redwood Burl Bud Vase, finished with Waterlox. I've been playing with this rolled over rim form for a while, still hunting the elusive ideal proportions.

Attachments

• Redwood Bud Vase.jpg
    Redwood Bud Vase.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 225
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

Hey that looks great! I really like the rolled over form too, i agree, it is tricky trying to get it to have just the right look!!

nava1uni

Nice looking. Proportionally speaking the top is a little too large in relation to the bottom. If you reduced the size so that it is not larger then the bottom it will be better balanced and less top heavy(both visually and in terms of tipping over.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Nice looking. Proportionally speaking the top is a little too large in relation to the bottom. If you reduced the size so that it is not larger then the bottom it will be better balanced and less top heavy(both visually and in terms of tipping over.

Great suggestion, that's the sort of feedback I was looking for, ideas for improvement in the proportions. I had made an earlier one which was as wide as tall, and I think the rim size worked there, but agree with you, the rim looks a bit overpowering.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
it looks good but I have to side with cindy, BTW, waht is a Bud Vase anyways for the sake of a city boy?

The idea is a vase to hold small dried flowers. Rather than a large opening, the opening is suitable for only a single stem or two (5/8" in this case). The whole thing is around 6" tall so no long stem roses. It's the sort of thing you might see on a desk to liven things up, rather than a center piece large table.

broitblat

Nice looking piece of wood and great looking form and finish on the result. I do agree that the rim would probably look better with a smaller circumference than the base, but I like the idea of the rolled rim.

-Barry

Rangertrek

Very nice work on the vase. I really like the rolled rim. Regarding the proportions, think of the design as I learned it in architecture school.
The concept is Mama, Pappa, Baby.

The bottom of your vase is Pappa, the middle is Baby, and the top would be Mama. Mama needs to be a little smaller than Pappa and bigger than Baby.

Look at a few buildings and sculpted forms and you will see this concept. Three forms with progressive sizes.
Looking forward to seeing the next version.:)

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I think I will try a smaller rim next time. Oddly enough, a shorter bud vase with the same rim and base relationship seems to work, at least as far as the rim and base are concerned.

Attachments

• Two Bud Vases.jpg
    Two Bud Vases.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 83
Top Bottom