bubbles in the blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bope

I purchased an acrylic blank and turned a pen. When I started polishing I notice divots in the acrylic that looked like small bubbles. I tried filling it with CA but that left a white dot. What do you do to fix a small bubble in an acrylic blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I had the same thing with a camo blank. I found I needed a real sharp tool plus I was moving the tool way too fast across the blank. Take it slow. I have a photo of the blank somewhere in the archives but can't find it right now.

More4dan

I have been successful in filling holes with CA (medium or thick). You have to make sure it's very clean first. Compressed air after a wipe down with acetone. I rotate the blank so the hole is up, fill with CA, let dry on its own without accelerator. Carefully skim the area with a sharp tool till it's even with the blank.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Terredax

Banned
IMO, it's likely not bubbles but, chip-out. This happens when being aggressive with a cut and/or dull tools. Sharp tools and lighter cuts will usually eliminate those divots.
For filling, as has been stated, be sure to clean the divot thoroughly with acetone, DA, etc. If using compressed air, use caution not to blow the chemical all over, and especially into your eyes. Then fill with CA.

Woodchipper

Is this what you see?

Attachments

• IMG_2156.jpg
    IMG_2156.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 167

Bope

Is this what you see?

Yes but not as bad. I only had about three little divots. Maybe they are tear out but I didn't notice them until I started sanding so thought I had sanded through a bubble. I could have had tear out and just didn't notice until later in the process.

Woodchipper

I found that I was moving the spindle gouge too fast across the blank. Made sure it was sharp and went much slower. End of problem. This was a two piece pen, second piece came out perfect.

Top Bottom