Bronze overlay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jalbert

jalbert

A little something I'd been working on for the past week or so. I had a lovely sheet of bronze come in, so I decided to make an overlay from it, and Of course needed a pen to put the overlay on. I made the pen from chocolate bronze lucite, with an ink reservoir made from Ultem, since it has a nice transparent yellow/amber color to complement the bronze. As mentioned, the overlay started out as a sheet, which I rolled up, soldered, and stuck on the mill to make the cutouts. The clip is made from bronze sheet, with a thicker square end to mimic the cutouts in the overlay. The pen is cut for a jowo 6 nib, and fills via piston mechanism. Barrel diameter is about 13mm.
73396996-ACC0-430C-AED9-C3312150DAAC.jpeg
BF77C4D1-9884-4959-A918-55928EDA9B1B.jpeg
DB73F748-A6C2-4593-B0DE-2F43614A6E31.jpeg
1B1036DD-2B6A-48F9-B017-B59AA0F8910B.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Outstandingly beautiful work, John !!!

Thanks for presenting this "glamorous" pen !!!

Looks like the thickness of the bronze sheet for the overlay is about 0.020" ... would that be about right ?

Lmstretch

Awesome pen and a Cool idea!

I have only been turning pens for about 2 years, so I am still a beginner. But one of the things about making pens I real like is that there is no limit in what you can do. Even if you think you have seen the limit, just wait a few days and I am sure you will see the bar raised even higher. Pen like this one only pushes me to improve my skills and take my pen making up another notch! Please keep posting your cool pens!

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
That is very impressive. I also think that if it's not polished too much, then the bronze will become quite stunning. I have done a similar cutout on the mill, but with a thicker stainless steel. Did you have any issues milling such a thin material?
I would imagine you may have used a sacrificial core inside just to support while milling?

jalbert

Outstandingly beautiful work, John !!!

Thanks for presenting this "glamorous" pen !!!

Looks like the thickness of the bronze sheet for the overlay is about 0.020" ... would that be about right ?
It was 18 gauge sheet, so whatever that is, minus a bit from truing up on the lathe

jalbert

That is very impressive. I also think that if it's not polished too much, then the bronze will become quite stunning. I have done a similar cutout on the mill, but with a thicker stainless steel. Did you have any issues milling such a thin material?
I would imagine you may have used a sacrificial core inside just to support while milling?
Thanks! You are correct. I used a piece of aluminum bar stock turned to the ID I wanted in the overlay, and ca'd the overlay on it so I could true it up on the lathe, as well as mounting it on the mill. I didn't have any issues with the material when milling. It seemed to cut cleanly and didn't deflect.

Top Bottom