Bring Back the Critiques Forum?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cozee

Originally posted by ctEaglesc
<br />"I still don't think we need such a forum but if done, I think there needs to be a panel selected by a majority vote of IAP board members to do the critiques. Leaving the critiquing open to anyone and everyone is leaving the door open to the past."

The IAP board was disbanded alsmost 2 years ago.

By board members I am speaking of the registered members of this message board.

Not Bruce Boone..... not that the other Bruce isnt skilled, lol

My bad[:I]!! But even face to face critiquing will work far better for emotional communication is involved. Here on the internet, the downfall of it's communication, is it's inability to convey emotion, the usage of vocal tone, to convey intent with typical communication. Yes, we have a mydraid of emoticons and we can write in CAPS or use of acronymns IMHO. But even with the best use of these they do not come close to measuring up to even meager vocal communication. And when face to face, body language is also a major part of communication, one even emoticons and acronymns cannot replicate. Most misunderstandings, heated discussions, hurt feelings, and name calling stem simply from the fact that there is a high probability of misinterpreting the intention of communication. And chances are good that one can see it on about any board, at about any given time, about anywhere on the web.

Skye

I somewhat agree, the problem is; Do we let a few people who like children prevent those of us with a stable emotions from getting something we would like to have? Do we let a few bad apples spoil the bunch or do we get control of a single sub-forum?

cozee

Do we let a few bad apples spoil the bunch or do we get control of a single sub-forum?

LOL!! I have been asking that same thing about our government for a loooooong time!!!

For a moment, I'll approach it from a different view than I have. If this forum was tightly controlled with critiques coming from only those whom the members of this message board have deemed to be those at the top, or at least a level of craftsmanship where their word is valued, this would provide a viable basis for a trial run. This also what would make it different from the SOYP forum. It would be nice to also see along with the constructive critiques, also a few words on how to possibly rectify the area of concern. Without a shadow of a doubt there will be those who post their work for critique who may wrestle with what they hear but there will also be those who do not post and learn from the other's judgings.

Could it work?? Yes. Would it? That all depends upon those who choose to participate, both those who are nominated for panel placement and those who offer thier submissions.[8D]

M

Mudder

Let me throw this out for thought.

What if all pen photo's were sent to a moderator or a selected individual and s/he posted them? The maker of the pen would be anonymous. I realize that a few folks have a distinctive style so if their creation was posted anonymously it would be easy to figure the creator but for the majority it should help to keep personal feelings out of it.

Perhaps the moderator(s) could be rotated on a monthly basis?

Skye

Doesnt make sense to me to rotate them. That's like everyone serving as a priest for confession once every few months.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Skye
<br />Doesnt make sense to me to rotate them. That's like everyone serving as a priest for confession once every few months.

What doesn't make sense to me is your comparisons to confession or folks who cannot agree on a car. What do those things have to do with bringing back a forum that has failed?

DocStram

And another suggestion ..... Jeff revives the Critique Forum .... members post pictures and relevant data (kit, wood, finish, etc).... whomever wants to critique the pen can ... BUT, <b>all critiques are sent as pm's to the penmaker</b>. None of the critiques are made public.

Dario

Originally posted by DocStram
<br />And another suggestion ..... Jeff revives the Critique Forum .... members post pictures and relevant data (kit, wood, finish, etc).... whomever wants to critique the pen can ... BUT, <b>all critiques are sent as pm's to the penmaker</b>. None of the critiques are made public.

This way you will be helping only one person. Most times a critique benefits a lot at the same time (if done right)...PM kinda defeats the purpose of the forum don't you think?

JimGo

Originally posted by Dario
<br />
<br />And another suggestion ..... Jeff revives the Critique Forum .... members post pictures and relevant data (kit, wood, finish, etc).... whomever wants to critique the pen can ... BUT, <b>all critiques are sent as pm's to the penmaker</b>. None of the critiques are made public.

This way you will be helping only one person. Most times a critique benefits a lot at the same time (if done right)...PM kinda defeats the purpose of the forum don't you think?
I agree that there is a strong advantage to making the critiques public. However, if potential public acrimony is the biggest concern preventing the opening of the forum, posting the pictures and being able to get private feedback, especially feedback from members who you weren't expecting to comment, is better than limiting the number of people from whom you solicit critiques and limiting the number of people able to see your pen (as would be the case if you were to E-mail a select set of people).

DocStram

Originally posted by Dario
<br />

I agree Dario .... but, it would be better than no forum.

Although I really liked that idea eagle presented ... the Experimental Forum.

Skye

Originally posted by Mudder
<br />
<br />Doesnt make sense to me to rotate them. That's like everyone serving as a priest for confession once every few months.

What doesn't make sense to me is your comparisons to confession or folks who cannot agree on a car. What do those things have to do with bringing back a forum that has failed?

It's not rocket science.

If A and B cannot make an important decision because one of them acts like a child, it's doing them no favor to just drop it all together.

If enough people act like idiots on IAP, is that just cause to shut down the IAP, just like shutting down the idea of this subforum?

Confession. Jim is mod in January. He knows who's pen is who. Bob in Feb, Marvin in March, and on and on 50 times. Now we have a ton of people who all have secrets. Yeah, that seems like a super idea.

M

Mudder

<br />It's not rocket science.

If A and B cannot make an important decision because one of them acts like a child, it's doing them no favor to just drop it all together.

If enough people act like idiots on IAP, is that just cause to shut down the IAP, just like shutting down the idea of this subforum?

Confession. Jim is mod in January. He knows who's pen is who. Bob in Feb, Marvin in March, and on and on 50 times. Now we have a ton of people who all have secrets. Yeah, that seems like a super idea.

Well,

Your reply does well to illustrate my point Skye.

In many cases both A and B acted like children, the critiques forum has proven that so I believe shutting it down was the best thing to do. Quite truthfully, I believe the question of what am I goung to have for dinner is infinately more important than whether or not the critiques forum will be reopened

Now as to confession.... I am not a practicing catholic but I do know that the preists are transferred around every once in a while.

However, I did go back and re read Eagle's earlier post and I believe that a forum with the guidelines based on what he suggested has a possibility. This thread has proven that there are some of us that stand firmly on opposite sides of this issue and I firmly believe that bringing back the critiques forum the way it was is a recipe for more polarization of this group.

Skye

Originally posted by MudderQuite truthfully, I believe the question of what am I goung to have for dinner is infinately more important than whether or not the critiques forum will be reopened

Have you posted numerous times across the span of a few days on another forum concerning what you're having for dinner tonight or are you grossly exaggerating?

M

Mudder

<br />
Originally posted by MudderQuite truthfully, I believe the question of what am I goung to have for dinner is infinately more important than whether or not the critiques forum will be reopened

Have you posted numerous times across the span of a few days on another forum concerning what you're having for dinner tonight or are you grossly exaggerating?

sorry,

I missed two little words....

Quite truthfully, I believe the question of what am I going to have for dinner is infinately more important to me than whether or not the critiques forum will be reopened

Feel better now Skye?

chisel

Quite truthfully, I believe the question of what am I going to have for dinner is infinately more important to me than whether or not the critiques forum will be reopened

Mmmmm, dinner....

*does Homer drool*

What is for dinner tonight? I had pizza. [:)]

My opinion on the new forum....is....that...it doesn't matter to me one way or another.

It seems like a lot of fussing over very little.

Skye

Better, yes. Because youre making less and less sense as this goes on, which makes me happy.

Forum: Not important at all to you, but you post a lot about it. OOoooookay.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />Skye: Ever consider that you might be part of the problem rather than part of the solution??

<br />Yes, I considered that but quickly dismissed it.

Skye,

Lets talk about your signature line for a moment.

Isn’t it true that when Johnny opened The Pen Shop your signature line read something like “The Pen Shop.net ….Leave your thin skin at the door� Isn’t it also true that you were told by admin to change it because it was against the policy of this site?

Given those facts; and your current signature line wouldn’t it also be true that YOU are one of those childish bad apples with a chip on your shoulder that you have said should not be allowed to post in that forum anyway?

So let's ask the question again.

Skye: Ever consider that you might be part of the problem rather than part of the solution?

Ron Mc

LOL....Boy I hope Jeff understands that this thread, now, has nothing to do with the potential content of a critiques forum![:D][;)]

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks to all for your input. I've read this entire topic several times, consulted with the moderators, and had conversations (email, phone) with several widely-respected and well-liked members. The universal opinion is that at this time, a separate critiques forum does not add any value.

I'll make some changes to SOYP to encourage critiques there. I'll post details...

I think this topic has run it's course and is now in the weeds so I'm locking it.

Skye

Given those facts; and your current signature line wouldn’t it also be true that YOU are one of those childish bad apples with a chip on your shoulder that you have said should not be allowed to post in that forum anyway?

So let's ask the question again.

Skye: Ever consider that you might be part of the problem rather than part of the solution?

I couldent think of another sig. Everything I thought of sounded lame. Hence, insert lame sig here.

DocStram

I can't speak for the rest of our IAP membership, but I'm uncomfortable when I'm around situations involving conflict. Sometimes, it's just better to just walk away .... or in this case, to not even bother to respond. Not responding, is, in fact, a response.

Being a "community of penturners" means everybody working together for the common good. Frankly, bickering does not help us achieve a "common good".

gerryr

Some people enjoy bickering, especially when they can make seemingly innocuous statements that are really designed to start it all. Then they claim innocence and try to hide behind a guise of "self-defense" while they rail at anyone who takes issue with them. What it's all about is just pumping up their own ego. It's a pretty pitiful existence if that's how they get their kicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom