Brief explanation to make a PC Tube

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Toni

Rich~the canes themselves are made out of polymer clay. Once you have applied a base layer of polymer clay and place the sliced canes on it they stick like glue!! When you roll the tube it smoothes out the slices and melds into the base layer. The oven bakes the clay as it is soft and you need to cure it in the oven to harden the clay..hope that helps... as for the movie..umm...LOL..not going to happen at least in New Zealand that is

using one of Toni's blades- i can get the cane slices wafer thin-it takes a little pratice and every now and then i slice a wedge shaped one but overall the blade makes a nice even smooth cut

jbmauser

distorted slices

Toni, do you rest your canes or cool them before slicing. Each time I make up a new can and slice it it always distorts. Egg shaped slices are not what I am looking for. Having said that, my canes are getting better, in minute degrees. I may not ever get near your quality but having fun. JB

I just can't quite grasp how it all smooths into a pen. Do the canes "melt" into the PC when you put it in the oven??????
Rich

Picture the cane as a loaf of bread, (very small loaf) and you use several thin slices to make a patern wrapped around the pen tube. Does that help?

Toni
Love your work. It amazes me how you can combine the different clays to make such complicated paterns. How many different canes do you use to make a pen? I would say to make an average pen but there is nothing "average" about them!
I hope you didn't mind my suggestion to Rich. I just thought it would help him see better how its done.

Toni

Thank you for the complements!!

How many different canes do you use to make a pen? I would say to make an average pen but there is nothing "average" about them!

To answer that question I would probably need to count the flowers on the pens, but it varies anywhere from 3-7...depending on my mood:rolleyes:

Harold in CR

This is absolutely an AWESOME thread. I have never seen this quality of hand made items. I have read every word of this thread, and still had no idea how this was done. Started viewing videos, and, 2 hours later, I was just staring at the beauty of this young lady's work.
NOTHING I could find, on you tube, showed the quality of this work in this thread.

Thank You for posting and keeping this thread going. Harold in CR

Toni

Thanks Harold...Nope you wont find me on UTUBE might break the camera:) actually I do not have a video camera so i couldnt even if I wanted to. A lot of those video's are not done by polymer clay artists that have over 10 years experience because they get paid to teach classes....

tbroye

Toni

I just purchased a couple of you tubed PC blanks from ED and Dawn. It is my understanding that they are already the sized for a Sierra pen and all I have to do is either sand or MM them from 600 up to 2000 and then finish in CA or other type of sealer/polish? They should be here Saturday. I hope to get some of purple ones when ED get more. My 6 year old Granddaughter loves them. I may have get some other thing for her to make something with other than pens.

Toni

You can use CA or floor polish to finish them. You can keep your grandaughter quite busy with her making her own beads and such take her to the craft store to buy clay to play with or buy pre-made canes and let her use them. I hope you love the tubes!!

Weisgerber

TONI IS A ROCK STAR!!!!!

Toni, thanks soooo much for posting this tutorial... you've been VERY helpful in a world of "sorry, that's my trade secret!"

Not sure I'll be able to catch up with your designs... but hopefully I'll be able to work some magic with your canes (and advice)... now, if I can just keep from cutting my fingers off with those dang blades :(

Peace!
Jeff

Toni

Thanks Jeff!!

I wanted to make sure this was clear the canes you are using to put on the tubes are 'RAW CANES" baked canes are used for Nail Art!!! Do NOT bake the canes prior to slicing them

Willee

Toni, I have been admiring your work with PC since I first seen it back in 2004 (I think) on the Yahoo Group.
You just keep getting better and better and your latest pen designs are simply fantastic.
Thank you for sharing some of your knowledge about working with PC with the rest of us.
You are truly a unique artist with a ton of skill and talent and a heart to match.

Toni

Toni, I have been admiring your work with PC since I first seen it back in 2004 (I think) on the Yahoo Group.
You just keep getting better and better and your latest pen designs are simply fantastic.
Thank you for sharing some of your knowledge about working with PC with the rest of us.
You are truly a unique artist with a ton of skill and talent and a heart to match.

The Yahoo group seriously?? I thought that was longer than that... Thank you for the complements. My obsession with pens is getting out of control to say the least! Thank you so much for the complement very sweet of you to say. I try my best.:)

azamiryou

Wow. I've been thinking about trying polymer clay for pens. Reading this thread, I can't decide whether to be inspired or humbled!

I'll definitely give it a shot when I can find some time.

aggromere

Hey toni do you think you could make a one inch round (no tube needed) poly clay thing that looks like this picture? It would need to be able to be glued onto wood and stand up to some turning to size and sanding and finishing with CA. The picture shows a cigar ash and it has some texture to it and is irregular in shape, I am just looking for something round that will look something like that once I turn, sand and finish.

I didn't know how to send you a picture in PM so I'm posting it here. You can PM me back with if you can, cost, etc.

I am looking for two to four pieces like this 4 to 6 inches in length.

Attachments

• dgl-owr-ash-detail.jpg
    dgl-owr-ash-detail.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 420
Toni,
Great job! When you say "cane" I don't know exactly what you mean. Can you explain a little more about that. I did look at the pictures but it shows some of your finished work.
Thanks,
Andy

Skye

What an insulting tutorial. Oh, you can make a step by step tutorial on how to make these, but I know... OH I KNOW they won't be anywhere close to yours! Don't you patronize me with your not-natural Fimo fingers!

Toni

Toni,

After reading this thread, I have purchased some canes from you off your website, I can't wait to give it a shot. Thanks for all the help!

Rick

Thank you Rick for you order if you need any help please contact me!!

Hey toni do you think you could make a one inch round (no tube needed) poly clay thing that looks like this picture? It would need to be able to be glued onto wood and stand up to some turning to size and sanding and finishing with CA. The picture shows a cigar ash and it has some texture to it and is irregular in shape, I am just looking for something round that will look something like that once I turn, sand and finish.

I didn't know how to send you a picture in PM so I'm posting it here. You can PM me back with if you can, cost, etc.

I am looking for two to four pieces like this 4 to 6 inches in length.

you can email me at Toni@exclusivedesignz.com and figure out something hopefully:question:. Why dont you just turn the cigar ash?

Toni,
Great job! When you say "cane" I don't know exactly what you mean. Can you explain a little more about that. I did look at the pictures but it shows some of your finished work.
Thanks,
Andy

Cane is referred to as the long rod of clay with the design running through it. If you have seen the Pillsbury cookie doh roll in the supermarket that you just cut and bake. The design runs through the whole tube that would be the equivalent to a cane. This photo shows you 4 long different sized canes. You would take slices from the canes and apply them to the tubes. I hope that helps explain what a cane is.

4030197162_c390397665.jpg

What an insulting tutorial. Oh, you can make a step by step tutorial on how to make these, but I know... OH I KNOW they won't be anywhere close to yours! Don't you patronize me with your not-natural Fimo fingers!
I have only been working with polymer clay since the 90's and did pottery over 20 years. Practice!! Lots of Practice!!:biggrin:

Toni

yep soccer is football here, I correct them though:biggrin: I am not a Rugby fan at all or net ball ...dont get me started...hockey is the only sport worth watching!!

Is it soccer season?

navycop

Just stumpled on this thread. I noticed it says to cut the canes thin. The canes come as round tubes,correct? Do you cut them length wise or slice them like lifesavers? I am trying to get a mental picture as to how they go on the tube.

Toni

Just stumpled on this thread. I noticed it says to cut the canes thin. The canes come as round tubes,correct? Do you cut them length wise or slice them like lifesavers? I am trying to get a mental picture as to how they go on the tube.

If you look at the above picture with the snowman you are cutting them like you slice the pillsbury doh cookies, you know with the design all the way through. When you have them sliced you just pick it up and place it on the tube.

Another Question

Toni,
Great tutorial. Everything makes sense and is easy enough to understand. My question is how do you bring the blanks down to the recommended size so the parts fit with a nice even transition? Are you building the blanks to fit the hardware before you bake them or is there some sanding you have to do after the baking process to make things fit as they should? However you do it is is BEAUTIFUL WORK!!!
Thanks

Toni

Toni,
Are you building the blanks to fit the hardware before you bake them or is there some sanding you have to do after the baking process to make things fit as they should? However you do it is is BEAUTIFUL WORK!!!
Thanks

Yes to your question, there is some light sanding done, but most of the work is done while I am making them to fit the hardware

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
I hope this is posted in the right place:biggrin:

I would like to explain alittle about how my pens are made, since I dont have the tutorial yet to post. BEWARE I have an interesting way of writing tutorials

1. I dont turn.
2. I dont use blanks.
3. I dont use CA

Now that you know that I will explain briefly how I make my "TUBES".

I promise I will get a better tutorial with step by step photos ASAP.

Toni have you ever written that "better" tuturial? IF you have I cannot find it anywhere. :question:

kenspens

thank you miss toni for the wonderful insight into your world and expertise as a world class pc artist!! i enjoyed your tutorial and look forward to seeing a pictorial on how you work the magic you do with polymer clay!!

ken brown
kens exotic pen artistry

LarryE

Toni,
So, I'm online looking at canes and at the bottom of one of the sites it says "you may also be interested in these products" and then show a nose stud and a tongue stud. What to you "clay" folk do anyway?

Toni

Thank you Toni. Very good. I bought a few of your blanks (tubes)...everyone just loves them! You have such great talent!

Thank you!!

thank you miss toni for the wonderful insight into your world and expertise as a world class pc artist!! i enjoyed your tutorial and look forward to seeing a pictorial on how you work the magic you do with polymer clay!!

ken brown
kens exotic pen artistry

Thank you Ken!!

Toni,
So, I'm online looking at canes and at the bottom of one of the sites it says "you may also be interested in these products" and then show a nose stud and a tongue stud. What to you "clay" folk do anyway?

Larry~I have no clue what those products are:confused::eek: I dont know if they are clay or not, interesting let me know if you find out more or a link

Top Bottom