Brazillian Cherry with ACM Segment and Centerband

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Wmcullen

Wmcullen

Brazillian Cherry with ACM Segment and Centerband
pen31.14.jpg

I'm playing with Aluminum Composite ACM material found at HomeDepot.
Happy to report it held to Brazillian Cherry just fine using CA glue. YMMV.
Thanks for looking
- Cullen

Pen details:
  • Brazillian Cherry with Aluminum Composite ACM segment and centerband
  • Slimline kit
  • Thickest width= ~0.5"
  • Wood burned rings using wire
  • I'm making a series of these as gifts and assembled multiple blanks at once.
pen31.19.jpg

pen31.20.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Cullen, this may be my favorite from what you have done. I really like the accents and the centerband modification. Very attractive pen! Thanks for sharing.

👏 👏 👏

Kcimdrib

Cullen
Great looking Pen not sure what composite Aluminium is but looks good and glued with CA even better.
I am making a Brass, Aluminium and CC Slimline glued with Epoxy it's stood up to drilling, just glued the tubes in again with Epoxy. Need to wait 24 hours then I'll try turning it.
But we'll done with your efforts.
Mike

DBDanger

This looks awesome and makes me want to consider making some more slimline kits. This is the second time in the last few days that I've seen the composite aluminum used for a center band and I am eager to try my hand. Great pen!

-Danger

magpens

@Wmcullen

Very cool ! ! !

I think that the separation between top and bottom barrels is right at the very top of the central lamina . . . right ? ?

Alan Morrison

Great looking Pen not sure what composite Aluminium is.
Mike
Mike, check out the above link. They sell good sized samples for £0.49p each. Penty to play with.
Alan

Kcimdrib

Mike, check out the above link. They sell good sized samples for £0.49p each. Penty to play with.
Alan
Thanks for that Alan I'll give it a go. Can't help thinking it's cheating just a little but just my opinion. I will get some. It certainly makes an attractive Pen.

Mike

Alan Morrison

Thanks for that Alan I'll give it a go. Can't help thinking it's cheating just a little but just my opinion. I will get some. It certainly makes an attractive Pen.

Mike
I don't know about cheating so much as it's a bit easier.
I have used it in the past and found that the material between the aluminium doesnt take a finish too well. I forget what finish I used, it was a couple of years ago, but whatever it was it had a reaction. It turned out ok.

Attachments

• IMG_0562.jpg
    IMG_0562.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 90

Wmcullen

That's so cool. You transformed the lowly Slimline into a classy pen.
I do my best. I keep waiting to get "tired" of slimline pens and it hasn't happened yet. So long as I don't use the standard (small) metal centerband I'm able to keep motivated to use these kits. Thanks for the compliment!
I am making a Brass, Aluminium and CC Slimline glued with Epoxy it's stood up to drilling, just glued the tubes in again with Epoxy. Need to wait 24 hours then I'll try turning it.
I bet those are going to look terrific Mike!
I think that the separation between top and bottom barrels is right at the very top of the central lamina . . . right ? ?
Mal- Right. Carving on the mandrel lets me play a little with how the center band gets incorporated into the overall look. This material is a little thin, so it's nice to be able to easily "beef" it up by making the upper and lower sections seem to be part of the centerband.

Top Bottom