Box Elder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Max

Gary Max

Just got done with these last night.
Kentucky Box Elder
Working on a differnt system to finish them---sprayed on.
Hope you enjoy.

Attachments

• IMG_1054.jpg
    IMG_1054.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 295
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mickr

very nice grouping...I have seen lacquer brushed on and then put on lathe (or other contraption) that spins at about 10 rpm..keeps the brushing lacquer moving and will flow smooth...just an idea all my bowls are finished in lacqueer (the art ones) eating ones just oil....

bgibb42

Those are spectacular! One question though...do you apply finish to the insides or is it even necessary?

wb7whi

Very nice material. Do you use a full blown hollowing system with a laser or are you the touchy-feely type?

Sanding also appears to be a problem for me. My first openform I used sandpapaer on a stick but really did not like the results. How do you handle this.

Fred

Wayne (and other interested readers) ... I do a fair amount of bowls and have fantastic results using the Guinevere which can be found here http://www.katools.com/guinevere.html.

I got mine from Woodcraft during their initial introduction and it was still rather expensive. For me the expense was definitely worth it.

The unit is great for sanding internal throats of vases and deep into bowls. BTW, it only takes just a few minutes of sanding to finish the job. By hand it would take much, much more time and cussing, and a few skint knuckles, etc. :eek:

If you can get to Woodcraft and look the system over, and you do a fair amount of inside sanding you too may find the system very worthwhile and interesting.

One other thing, you can design your own flex cable system from components that are available from Craftsman or even Woodcraft. The only trick here is to ensure that the cable chuck will accept the larger diameter mounting shafts of inflatable bulbs.

I also will tell you that I don't inflate my bulbs at all. The firmness of the sanding collar holds the shape and forms to the cut shape great. Just start sanding ASAP as the sanding collar can fly off due to the high speed of the cable motor.

Start to finish takes me less than five minutes and that includes going through several grades of sandpaper. There is almost always some hand work to be done, but the majority of the hard work is all over with in minutes.

Good luck ... :)

Top Bottom