Project trying to get out of idea stage....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from scoutharps

scoutharps

So, here;s the idea. You are familiar with the egg shaped kalidascopes. And probably most, if not all of you are familiar with "Resurrection Eggs". And a lathe, and of course you now have wooden eggs with different bits in the glitter chamber. For example, I'm going to get leaf shaped beads or sequins for the palm branches, tacks for the nails, etc. Where I'm getting stuck is the wood. I'd like to use Biblical woods for each of the eggs, and have found some good information on what woods to use. The problem is going to be finding them. Resech seems to show that the actual Cross was made of pine, likely stone or alleppo pine. Regular pine I can get! Others that I want to pick up include: Shittim, Almond, Apple, Cypress, Fig, Myrtle, Broom, Carob , Cedar of Lebanon, Pomgranite, Thyine, Cinnmon nd Carob. English Walnut and Willow are also on the list, and Grape Vine, if I can find a piece big and sturdy enough--I've never turned a vine before, but it seems that may be possible.

So, does anyone know where I can get pieces of these woods big enough for the eggs? If I rememberr right, it takes about a 2x2x3" piece for each, and I'd like to make at least two sets--one for me and one for my church. And I'd like to have them by next Easter!

Any ideas or leads would be most welcome!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Size of the wood depends on the size of the egg shape -- smaller is more available than larger. Quail egg vs chicken egg vs goose egg vs emu egg. Point is that they do not all need to be the same size, and if you vary, you have a better chance to fit available woods. then you get to make several different sizes of plastic pipe chucks for finishing the ends.

Species is one thing, and source of the growth is another. Gilmer woods carries some of those as well as boxwood and mullberry from Turkey - Monty on this board deal in Acacia and Olive imported from Israel.

Many of these are expensive as the sizes go larger and you should be prepared to purchase the size of wood available and adapt from there -- or pay a high premium for someone else to do the prep work for you (with associated time and wastage).

idea is great -- and you can phase in in -- do some for each easter as you find woods and get the eggs turned.

hebertjo

If you cannot find wood that is large enough you could always segment together several smaller pieces to form a size large enough for your needs.

hewunch

If you need cypress let me know. I have a bunch (but it is from the USA not Israel or surrounding countries)

scoutharps

These are some great ideas! I had not thought about gluing up to make a larger blank, nor about varied sizes. Very good ideas. I like the Global Woods site too. Does anyone know if the kalidascope tubes are availible anywhere in graduated sizes? I've only seen the ones in the major catalogs--PSI, WC, etc. Also, as far as turning, and basic grain patterns go, is one pine species pretty much the same as another pine species? I'm not going to get hung up on "it has to be that species from the Holy Land and nothing else will do, it it brings the whole project to a screeching halt. After all, God made all the trees!

Thanks for all the help. Please keep the ideas coming, and I will keep you posted.

RAdams

Banned
can you use a different material and custom make your own scope tubes? seems a real bummer to be limited on what some manufacturer thinks you should have.

Top Bottom