bowl help part two

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from triw51

triw51

A few weeks ago I asked for some help when the tendon on a bowl I was working on broke. I received some fantastic ideas from some great turners. I decided to use the Cole jaws and a 2.5" forester bit to make a recess I could expand into. One suggestion was a donut chuck and I need to make one of those, anyway here is the large bowl still on the lathe. I put one coat of poly and waiting for it to cure and will finish. The black is espresso grounds and CA with some turquoise chips.
C & C welcome Thank you for looking

Attachments

• splatted pecan1.jpg
    splatted pecan1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 233
  • splatted pecan2.jpg
    splatted pecan2.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 218
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

The correct term is tenon, like mortise and tenon. The tendon is a body part. Expanding into a mortise has it's own hazards. If you remove too much material on the outside diameter of the base, then that becomes weakened. So proceed with caution on a piece that has already broken once.

SteveG

Wow! It looks like you are having great fun in the realm of bowl turning. Your working thru the issues that come with that, and it is looking good.

Keep on turnin' and havin' fun!!

JimB

The correct term is tenon, like mortise and tenon. The tendon is a body part. Expanding into a mortise has it's own hazards. If you remove too much material on the outside diameter of the base, then that becomes weakened. So proceed with caution on a piece that has already broken once.

That's funny. I thought I wrote tenon so I don't know if I mis-typed or spell check did something. In any case, thanks for the correction. We don't need people turning off body parts!:biggrin:

alankulwicki7

Expanding into a mortise has it's own hazards. If you remove too much material on the outside diameter of the base, then that becomes weakened. So proceed with caution on a piece that has already broken once.

This is very true. While I've had bowls break off at the tenon, I think I've had more problems with mortises. One little catch and the bowl comes off, mortise blowing apart, etc.
Another option for shallower bowls and dishes is a glue block. Easy to add and you'll lose much less material....

Top Bottom