BOW ornament...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Finally reaching the end of the ornaments I have to make.
I do have one wood in particular that I would like to post about.
I have always been a great admirer of Bethlehem Olive Wood, and several months ago I ordered several 2"x2"x12" turning blocks from Diane at BOW (see the IAP homepage for link). If you haven't ordered from BOW, not only is the wood some of the most beautiful on the planet, but Diane and Ghasan are some of the friendliest and most caring people you will ever have the pleasure of ordering from.

pic-1)Start with a nice BOW turning block.
pic-2)cut/glue a 2"x2"x2" block to a waste block
pic-3)and you have an ornament

The finial and icicle are made of bloodwood.

Sorry for the quality of the photo.

2005112445523_2x2x18.jpg

2005112445539_glueblock.jpg

2005112445552_bow_orna.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Super job John [:p] That is a great looking peice.
So what is the going price of something like that?
Curious, as I have never made one.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Like everything, price is whatever the market will bear.
And since this is the first year I have made ornaments, I asked my fellow turning club members for pricing help (ornaments are going into a local art gallery for Christmas sales). Suggested selling price was $50 to $60.
Will let you know if the artsy crowd thinks that appropriate or not [:)][8D][:p]

PenWorks

John, your price seems very fair for the the time it looks like it took to make it,
plus it is a really nice piece. But I think it is not only what the market will bear,
but finding that right person. I wouldn't spend 6.00 for a tree orniment let alone 60.00,
but I would spend 1,000 for the right pen. So let us know what the artsy crowd thinks. Good luck.

whatwoodido

How thin do you hollow out the globe? I usually shoot for about 3/16", to give it a light feel.

Drew

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks everyone for your comments..[:)]

Anthony, I think you said what I was trying to say, only better. When they were first telling me the suggested prices to ask for these ornaments, I thought they were kidding. So I did a little looking around in the stores/malls. Most all ornaments started at $15-20 (and thats for a mass marketed) and not a handmade BOW [:0]
But I also remember first time I sold a slimline..$35...and for that tiny little piece of wood and about twenty minutes of turning fun to make it [:0][:0]

Drew,
Thats the same dimensions I shoot for also. That size, from what I have seen between the turning and sanding, makes a pretty dry as well light globe.
The BOW was the hardest to hollow of all the ones I made. When hollowing I would normally just blow the sawdust out after a little hollowing, no problem. But the olivewood, being olivewood, was 'moist'. The wood seemed like it was dry, so I am presuming it was the natural oil in the wood that made it very hard to remove as I hollowed it. Also, since I have sometimes had olivewood dry/crack months later, I used stablized these with a CA finish.

dubdrvrkev

Very nice John! Beautiful combo on the woods.
I too, found it difficult to price my ornaments. I am charging more for the birdhouses than the bulbs because the stock is a little harder to come by in the size I am making them. Your bulbs have a better finish than mine and are more ornate so I see no problem in the $50-$60 range for them.
BTW thanks for the care package, should see some results soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom