BOW Havana Rollerball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodpens

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodpens

Here is a Havana rollerball pen I finished last night. Murphy was at my side the whole time! I got my new Berea mandrel running semi-true finally. I turned it down and found some serious cracking that I had to deal with. The CA finish gave me fits. My lamp/magnifying glass broke off when I adjusted it to get a better look at the finish. I put on a coat of TSW and buffed it. I took it off the mandrel, holding it in a paper towel to keep my fingers off it. The cap jumped out of the paper towel and rubbed itself all over the concrete floor ... twice. I didn't throw anything. Now, that's self-control! :) A little more cleaning and buffing, and everything worked out alright. Whew...

200541315350_HavaBow.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
That's a gorgeous pen, Jim. I'd never have thought it was a "save"! BTW, Murphy's twin has been living at my place since Friday night. Unlike you, I have thrown a few things. If he doesn't leave soon I'm going to turn a bowl!

opfoto

Hold the phone....If Murphy was at both Lou's and Jim's. Then who was pulling on my bandsaw blade when I was cutting blanks yesterday...Yanked it right off the wheels. Scared the dust right outta me shorts it did!!! Thanks god no stain was found. Heart rate now back to normal. [8D]

opfoto

So sorry I forgot.... Very nice pen Jim... If it helps, you can send all of your unused blanks to me...precut of course... but only if it helps. [;)]

PenWorks

Great looking pen Jim, beautiful pics as well.
Nice job on the self control thing, I haven't throw a
golf club in months as well [:D]
You wouldn't be cherry picking that olive wood, wood you [:)]
Oh, I'm stuck at the office still and all I hear over the radio
is Buffet tunes, he is playing in Phoenix tonight.

Peninhandrjg

Jim, Great looking pen! I turned a Little Havana FP last week. Hope I can do justice to the next one like you did.
Randy aka peninghandrjg.
BTW Did you have any trouble drilling the monster holes?

woodpens

Originally posted by penworks
<br />You wouldn't be cherry picking that olive wood, wood you [:)]
Oh, I'm stuck at the office still and all I hear over the radio
is Buffet tunes, he is playing in Phoenix tonight.
I appreciate everyone's comments! I feel proud of this pen, but I'm not responsible for the beautiful grain that makes it so nice. As for "cherry picking", I do occaisionally put a couple blanks away for a rainy day when I get a load in. This one actually came off the top of what I just got in from Ghasan and Diane. There are quite a few like it.
Jimmy never plays real close to my location. I'll probably have to catch him in Atlanta unless I happen to be traveling to the right place at the right time. [:D]

woodpens

Originally posted by Peninhandrjg
<br />BTW Did you have any trouble drilling the monster holes?
Drilling the holes is no problem. I think the instructions say to use a 7/8" blank, but I make several a week lately with 3/4" blanks. I use Paul Huffman's drilling vice, so I am able to hit the middle of the blank pretty easily. I also refrain from drilling through the bottom of the blanks. I stop just shy of penetrating the blank, then cut the ends off on the tablesaw. This technique prevents a lot of blowouts on the drill press.

woodpens

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Very pretty! What did you think of the Havana kit?
Thanks again for the comments! I like the Havana rollerball pen. It is a very good quality kit. It makes a heavy pen, but I like it as does a recent customer who just had his 5th shipped to him today. The fountain pen is too short, and I don't care much for the ballpoint. I do like the rollerball though.

woodpens

Originally posted by mik
<br />Nice one Jim! - from the top of the pile!! You say some serious cracking? Out of my interest in olive wood - where and how did it crack? Also have you got a moisture meter?
I occasionally find a crack or two in olivewood. Normally it is a hairline split that is easily taken care of with a CA finish. This one was more significant and wanted to pull apart somewhat. The worst spot is on the cap near the finial. You can see it to some degree on the bottom picture just above the clip. It is not real noticable. There is also a spot on the top picture just to the right of the center band. The only spot on the lower barrel became invisible with the CA finish. Not many of us would even see the flaws without being told about them. I don't have a moisture meter. The blank did seem quite dry. The cracks for the most part appear to be spots where a twig may have been.

mick

FANTASTIC lookin pen .......I love olivewood I wonder what would happen if I stuck to just olivewood pens? Big honkin Olivewood pens..........lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom